Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long nights without nursing

Default Re: Long nights without nursing

My 6month old has slept that way since 4months and she weighs even less than your lo
    It has not affected my milk supply I am always very full in the morning but she drains both sides so my milk continues the same. Remember to that your milk supply follows how your lo eats so you don't have to worry too much.If he eats less in the evening and more between 3am-6pm then your body adjusts to that...mine has.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyLuvsU View Post
    If you have a low supply you will experience lots of sucking and no swallowing. I stopped getting letdowns as well when my supply went really low. My baby is also really big and he's slowed down a lot gaining weight, and the pedi said that was normal and to not worry.
    Yes! This is how I know I've dipped really low at times despite everyone telling me not to worry! When I feel low (and in my opinion, am), I see his diaper outputs go down, he eats very often, my breasts are much flatter than normal, and he takes <2mins to drain a side before he's doing empty sucking w/ no swallows. This is why I have confidence that I have some issues with my supply dipping low...and it almost always is preceded by times I think I've gotten too full at night. This doesn't seem to happen to other people!

Agreed, but after he's sucked and sucked and gotten a few quick letdowns, any more than come afford him about 2-3 swallows; they are very small volume. I think that's part of why I'm confident i'm not dealing with a great supply sometimes.

Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy's Mommy View Post
    Your breasts are never truely empty, as your LO eats more is being made.

I didn't have time to read the other posts but your situation sounds like mine so I just thought I'd chime in. I thought for a while that the long nights were affecting my supply but they weren't - I was just even-ing out and it did change from day-to-day but it was other issues. If your LO weighs enough and is old enough there is no problem. I have been assured this repeatedly by my doctor (who is VERY BF-friendly and nursed her LOs for 3.5 years each). If you are concerned, talk with your pediatrician.

As far as when and how long you nurse on each side, I'd say you are the expert. You've clearly succeeded in BF-ing now and successfully dealt with supply issues (it sounds like) so I'd say your are the expert. Do what your instincts and your body tells you.