Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Babe unhappy with the lo-flow

Wink Babe unhappy with the lo-flow

Hi! I am a mom of an almost 3 month old baby. I am trying to correct my overflow/OALD issues. I initially fed on one side per feeding starting at birth (given that I had OALD with previous babies). Then things started getting out of control at around 6 weeks probably with a growth spurt. I settled things down with 4 hour blocks, and then he seemed hungrier so back to one breast per feeding.

Again things were out of control -- the baby wants to feed all the time (every 1-2 hours), is really gassy, not sleeping, and not passing bowel movements. Very colicky. Burping continuously which wakes him up.

Other than the overnight feeds and the morning feeds he is not having a lot of gagging episodes...primarily because he is pulling off his good latch and feeding on the nipple only.

So, I have resumed 4 hour blocks, and he is hating it!!! I know that there is milk there, but he refuses to feed on that breast a second time. Tonight I had to walk around the house with him on the breast to get him to feed on the breast. He seems really angry that the milk is not fast enough. After 1 1/2 hours of trying to feed him on the appropriate breast I gave in and gave him the fuller one and he loved it!!! But he really needs the hind milk. This has happened a couple of times in the past day.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Default Re: Babe unhappy with the lo-flow

My ds use to do the same thing. I do breast compession while he's nursing to get the flow going a bit stronger. Also, I know it may sound silly, but you could try turning the vaccume and walk around or sit if he lets you. It worked most the time for ds anyway. Just some thoughts, HTH!
    Nikki

Wife to my best friend and mommy to our sweet little man born 4/07!

Still 'ing and loving life! We cloth!

Thanks for the advice. I am just curious about how long your baby protested with the "normal" flow!

I would say about a week maybe a week and a half I was having the most trouble w/ it. Kinda the same thing w/ me, we were block feeding great for about 5 weeks then he started to refuse the same side. Once my milk decreased enough where I could switch every 2.5 to 3 hrs w/out green diapers he seemed to be happy w/ that. Also, when he would/does refuse to nurse on the same side and it hasn't been long since we switched I take him for a short walk and by the time we get back he'll nurse for whatever reason. lol
    Nikki

Wife to my best friend and mommy to our sweet little man born 4/07!

Still 'ing and loving life! We cloth!

Wink Re: Babe unhappy with the lo-flow

I can't thank you enough for your advice. It is great to know that others have made it through these troubles. My first was exclusively breastfed, and then with the second baby, I actually gave up nursing last time around because of these issues but I am determined to make this work with this lo!!

As I put in my other post - my production is now exceeding my baby's ability to drink because of a bad cold. I am still on 4 hour blocks, but am afraid to increase the blocks, because he may be really hungry when he gets better from his cold...so now that I am fuller again, he is a happy little man! Plus it seems a sin to make him so angry with the slow flow when he is all stuffed up.

klt, I'm in the exact same boat as you. I know there's milk there bc it will squirt out if I manually express but he gets so frustrated he literally glares at me - an 8 week old!!!