Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nipple Soreness

Unhappy Nipple Soreness

I have read everything I can about nipple soreness, and yet, nothing helps.
    I worked with a lactation Consultant about latching correctly, and I believe I have that down. Engorgement went away yesterday. And I don't believe I have an infection.

When I put him to the breast, it hurts so much sometimes I cry. This can't be good.
    Help!

Default Re: Nipple Soreness

Typically no nipple soreness occurs if your latch is right. Call your local LLL leader and I"m sure she'd be glad to help you.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I feel your pain as I have been there too. How old is your baby? I had lots of pain the first 8 weeks even with many sessions with my LLL leader- in the end we decided his mouth was just too small, but she insisted the pain would go away around 8 weeks, as he (and his mouth!) got bigger. She was totally right! I remember dreading nursing in the beginning because of the pain, and I couldn't understand how woman loved it. But I kept with it because I knew it was right for my baby. Now, I can't wait until our nursing sessions. Hang in there- IT WILL GET BETTER! Keep talking with your LLL leader. For now, try those cold gel packs, and Lanolin. Hope that helps!

Does the pain go away during the feeding, or are your nipples sore the entire time? Do you have any nipple trauma - cracked or bleeding nipples?

I think you first need to rule out improper latch. Sometimes even a VERY subtle change can make all the difference in the world. The most common problem with latch is not putting enough nipple/areola in the baby's mouth. So baby will start out with just the tip, and will suck on that, or will slowly suck the rest of the nipple into his mouth like a noodle. Both situations cause severe pain and nipple trauma.

Really make sure baby is opening up WIDE and don't be afraid to really bring baby's head into the breast in a swift, firm motion. Make sure baby's entire body is facing you - you should be chest to chest and stomach to stomach. Baby's ear, shoulder and hip should all be in line.

I would recommend contacting your local LLL Leader, who can watch you nurse and perhaps offer some tips. Also, your lactation consultant should also be available for followup.

If, after being evaluated, it's determined that your latch continues to be good and a minor adjustment isn't needed, then you might explore other causes of the nipple soreness, such as thrush. But I would work on seeing if the latch can be fine-tuned in any way.

Good luck and please keep us updated!

Smile Re: Nipple Soreness

Although it has been sometime for me, I remember all too well.
    When I nursed DS he was the perfect nursling but when I had DD some 14 yrs later... that was something else. for 15 wks... yes I said 15 wks I had sore nipples and if it wasn't for me nursing my DS I would have given up... as it is so easy to do so... I knew I didn't want to and was determined to nurse... I went to a lactation consultant and found the culprit was her NOT latching on correctly and the minute it would hurt I would stop and remove and latch her on again. It did take A LOT of practice but I went on to nurse DD till she was 2 and wouldn't have traded for anything. She remembers it which is awesome and she nurses her baby dolls and wears a larger receiving blanket as a sling.

Please consider talking to your LLL leader and when it hurts take the baby off and try again, yes I will tell you it may annoy your baby but you will be teaching as young as they are to nurse correctly. ((hugs))
    Being consistent is the key for you and your child.
    I did use the Medela lanolin to help heal my nipples and left my flaps down to air them...
    Don't give up you can do it and you can teach the baby to correctly latch on, as they say it isn't supposed to hurt when you nurse if it does something is wrong.

Good Luck
    Keep us updated

I had serious nipple soreness for a while (just as you describe). It finally went away and I've had no problems nursing since then. What really helped me was to do salt water soaks after nursing or at least a few times a day. Dissolve 1/2 tsp of salt into 1 cup of water warm enough for the salt to dissolve. Keep this salt water mixture in a tuperware container with a lid. Apply the salt water to 2 guaze pads and put them on the nipples after nursing for 5 minutes. It's annoying because it's just one more thing you have to do but it really helped my nipples heal and that initial pain eventually went away. This was recommended to me by a lactation consultant.

Huge hugs from all of us giving advice! We have been there and we are so proud of you for sticking with it

First suggestion is of course to really really check that latch. If baby isn't getting enough of your aerola into his mouth, wait until you get a nice wide open just as the pp stated. Also, it worked for me when i compressed slightly just in back of the aerola to help him get more of my aeorla into his mouth.
    Sometimes you start out nursing just fine but when your milk comes and then goes things can tend to get out of sync as far as latching goes.

Second - have you been tested for thrush? With my dd the pain was intense and although she had great output she was not latching the greatest BUT i also had a yeast infection in my breasts. Although she did not test positive for it, she had slight redness around her bottom which is a big sign among breastfed babies. I would strongly suggest getting on medication even if you just think it might be yeast but are not testing for it.

If you are sure it's not the latch, it has to be something. Breastfeeding should NOT be painful. If there is pain then your body is sending you a signal that something is not right.

And my last bit of advice for any mommies with sore nipples...FLAPS DOWN as much as possible.

The lactation nurse at the hgospital recommended "soothies" when I had my daughter and this really helped with sore nipples... you might want to give them a try.

I had extremely sore nipples for the first 6 weeks of my babies life. I found the party line of "if your baby is latching right, it shouldn't hurt" to be really unhelpful, and honestly, it almost made ne give up breastfeeding. As far as anyone could tell me, our latch was great, but still, my nipples were cracked and split to the point that I wasn't sure if they would ever be able to heal correctly. At the time I felt frusterated and confused that breastfeeding could be so painful (it brought me to tears everytime for several weeks) and the the breastfeeding community seemed so unsupportive on this issue. Despite the fact that the pain was so intense that I almost gave up trying, several lactation consultants just told me that the pain would pass soon, and suggested that it was my fault anyway for doing it wrong. Not very encouraging when you have a tiny newborn baby and every feeding is a traumatic event.

Finally I found a lactation consultant who recognized that my nipples were infected, and recommended I get a perscription for All Purpose Nipple Ointment. After a few days of using this, my nipples started to heal, to my great relief. I switched to using a tincure of myhrr, which is more natural than the nipple ointment, and also fights infection. By around 6 weeks, my nipples FINALLY healed, and since then, breastfeeding has been wonderful, pleasurable, and peaceful for my baby and me.

Sore nipples are a reality for many women, even if your baby gets a good latch. Definitly check out that latch situation first, but many women experience pain even if baby is latched on as well as her little mouth is able to. Get those nipples healed, and things will go much better.

With my first baby I really had no pain in the beginning. I guess we got a really good latch since his mouth was pretty big.

My DD on the other hand, I was in pain for a good 2-3 weeks. She had a very tiny mouth and couldn't get much of the nipple/areola in. With her I used Lansinoh lanolin cream. It doesn't have to be washed off before feeding and I actually would apply some right before nursing to "protect" the nipple. It made a big difference for me.