Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If you HAD to give formula or milk

Default If you HAD to give formula or milk

would you choose to keep on formula past 12 months or switch to whole milk or soy or rice milk? I am weary about formula b/c of sugar but weary of milk b/c of iron. I would have BF past a year but my pregnant body said other wise. I plan on giving her EBM when I have the baby but can some one PLEASE give me input on what's best till then?
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

Default Re: If you HAD to give formula or milk

Personally, I give my son cow's milk. He doesn't get a lot of it because he's still nursing, but he really likes milk - especially when I'm giving some to his older sister anyway. Nothing he likes more than being a big boy, drinking the same thing as his big sister :-). I started giving it to him when he was almost a year.

I think its probably a personal choice, but when faced with that exact decision, I opted to give our dd cow's milk. She ate plenty of solids at that point, and I was certain she was getting enough iron in the foods she ate. And, I didn't want to put any more money in the pockets of formula companies.

Had she not been eating wholesome, well-rounded meals, I would have considered toddler formula.

HTH

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I would probably go for cows' milk, if your baby is eating a balanced diet and no history of allergies etc. I guess if you are concerned about her intake of solids, there may be some merit in formula, but I'm with the pp - I wouldn't want to put any money into the coffers of the formula companies unless there was a really good reason!
    The other alternatives might be better if there are allergy issues, but soya is not without those either, and I'm so not sure about rice milk. I do use it, for cooking etc (both my boys are cows milk allergic) but I'm not sure it's nutritious enough to be a main drink IYSWIM? I think it's mainly carbohydrate. I've not looked into it in any depth as my boys are both still breastfeeding plenty, and I could be wrong (hopefully someone will correct me if so) but I think it's ok as part of a toddler's diet, but I don't think I would rely on it as a major nutritional source. (Though I think it's by far the nicest of all the cows milk alternatives I've tried!)

I agree with the PP's. I my child were eating a variety of solids, including iron rich foods, then I'd definitely go with cow's milk. If not, then I may consider formula.

Regarding the rice milk - it is correct that it is mainly carbs/sugar. It's ok as an occasional beverage, and you can get the calcium fortified kind, but it isn't really a milk. It has no fat and almost no protein. It's really more like a juice.

If no history of allergies, cow's milk would be a better option. Even then, though, it needs to be limited due to the possiblity of iron deficiency anemia. Here's a good resource:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

Thanks guys I guess we will switch to cows milk.
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

You can always give your child vitamin supplement with iron as well as the cow's milk, this is the best combination, if you are a little worried about the lack of iron levels.

I agree formula is horrible stuff, I don't even like my tea with powdered milk, why an earth would the baby would like powdered stuff?! No choice I suppose.

We're still actively breastfeeding, but I started trying to introduce cow's milk so that my little one would be used to it if my supply decreased. He hates the stuff, so we will have to look into using toddler formula if that happens.