Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can someone help me understand? TQ

Default Can someone help me understand? TQ

Hi all,

I have been BF DS for 9 months now, happy, probably elated that I have come this far!

Anyway, I have read that BF babies don't get sick as often.

Okay, I have a question. 2 weeks ago, DS was down with a cold, and was ill for nearly a month.

Now he is ill again!

Same goes for my sister's little baby.

She says, "BF didn't help keep my baby from illness."

Is there some sort of guideline on how 'often' a BF baby gets sick relative to non-BF'ed babies?

THanks

Default Re: Can someone help me understand? TQ

hey sorry I'm confused by what your saying, your child got sick 2 weeks ago but was sick for nearly a month and is now sick again? if that was 2 weeks ago he would have been sick 2 weeks not a month.. just confused!

Sorry...
    What I meant was, six weeks ago, he was ill for a month; i.e. for two weeks after that he was well. Now he is ill again.. Really sorry. Lack of sleep. Sorry!

I don't really know what the stats say, but they do say babies get antibodies from mommy. But I think that there are other circumstances that effect sickness. If you take your baby out alot and they are exsposed as opposed to the moms who stay home for the first year. I personally try to avoid sick people but take my DD out everywhere even in winter (as long as its not tooo cold) She has been sick probably about 3 times and is 13months. (however twice was due to a boy who was brought to playdates knowingly sick who we don't associate with anymore) Just a vent... if your baby is sick... green snot from the nose.. why would you bring him/her to a playdate?! some mothers!

I think they have a harder time getting over it when they are formula feed. What did your little one have? As it could have been allergies or smog issues and not an actual cold. My DD coughed everynight for over a month and then I got MONO the doc thinks she picked it up from baby in the playgroup (probably the above mentioned baby) as mono in small children is like a cough or cold that wont go away, and that I got it from her, as the incubation period is about 4-6 weeks. So maybe it was that.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

BF babies in general definitely DO get sick less often and less severely than FF babies. The research is clear on this. But remember, these are group statistics. BF babies still get sick. It doesn't mean that any one particular BF baby will get sick less than another particular FF baby. There is wide variability within both groups. Make sense? You can't really conclude that BF didn't help your baby/your sister's baby not to get sick as much, because it is impossible to know how much each would have gotten sick without BF, kwim? It's quite possible that the illnesses would have been more severe, or more frequent, etc.

Claires mommy, He starts with sneezing, then a runny nose. Then fever. This time around, his fever is much higher, and won't go down with medication! Phew, had quite a night last night (I.e. no sleep..)

Yes, I totally agree. if our babies are ill, it's our responsibility to not expose him/her to other healthy babies!

One thing about DS is, he is very friendly and goes to everyone! So maybe he 'catches' his colds from people, rather than other babies. But it could be other babies too.

I did go to the paediatrician today, and he said that it's not that BF babies don't get ill, they do, but they most probably just take less time to get better, and at the same time build more antibodies on top of antibodies from BM.

Sorry for not being clear in the initial post.

llmommy, thanks very much! Yes I understand it completely.

home executive, sorry if I had repeated a post..

Quote Originally Posted by raylis View Post
    Claires mommy, He starts with sneezing, then a runny nose. Then fever. This time around, his fever is much higher, and won't go down with medication! Phew, had quite a night last night (I.e. no sleep..)
    I'm sorry to hear he was so sick. Its scarey when they get like that, espically fevers. hopefully he is feeling better today and you are getting some sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by raylis View Post
    home executive, sorry if I had repeated a post..
    Its good to ask questions. I think Home executive was just trying to help out by reposting the thread. That way you and others with this question can get some info. I had not seen the earlier post either, so I learned something too
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.