Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: % of fat in My milk vs. Cow's milk

Default Re: % of fat in My milk vs. Cow's milk

Quote Originally Posted by mrsavocet View Post
    Oh, ok. It just doesn't seem to happen in this country. But then we don't have routine doctors checks like I gather you do in the US either. I'm getting to realise that the systems are very different - it's a bit confusing for me!
    Don't feel bad. It's really a hoax over here! Everything I have heard and read says socialized medicine is really a much more EFFECTIVE system. I hear doctors over there actually bonus based on getting people to stop smoking, lower blood pressure Ect.....keeping people WELL! What a concept!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Don't feel bad. It's really a hoax over here! Everything I have heard and read says socialized medicine is really a much more EFFECTIVE system. I hear doctors over there actually bonus based on getting people to stop smoking, lower blood pressure Ect.....keeping people WELL! What a concept!
    Yeah. Our healthcare system is far from perfect of course, but I think I prefer it. (Though I have no personal experience of the US system so just basing my opinions on what I've read.) You seem to get a lot of routine checks and tests that we don't. When I first started reading this forum I was really confused when everyone was talking about visits to paediatricians, as here, you only get referred to see one if there's a serious concern with your child, It took me a while to figure out what you all meant, but I think I get it now!
    Still, I'm going waaaay off the topic now, so I'll be quiet!

Not sure of the % of fat in breastmilk, but if getting extra fat is a concern how about adding cheese, yogurt or cooking with olive oil? A one year old's fat intake doesn't have to be ALL from milk. Just a thought!

Here is a link to the kellymom site with fat content for a variety of foods. The very first section is "milk" and includes both human and cow. You'll see that the human milk clearly has HIGHER fat content than whole cow's milk. And, no, it doesn't go down after one year. At least one study has suggested that the fat content actually goes up the longer you nurse, not the other way around. AND, while I can't find a reference at the moment, I believe that breastmilk has healthier fats, including essential fatty acids, than cow's milk. The recommendation for whole cow's milk in the second year of life came about BECAUSE people have started weaning before the biologically normal time. It is a REPLACEMENT for the human milk that that toddlers would have gotten. Yes, toddlers need a lot of fat in their diets for brain development--No, it doesn't have to come from a cow.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

Smile Re: % of fat in My milk vs. Cow's milk

Oh Thank you all sooo much! The doc said is was important for the myelinization in the brain which I do understand is very important. It is nice to have the assurance from each of you and the data to know that it is ok to keep her on breast milk.

We also found the doc told us a few other things we will Not do:
    1) he said to stop giving breastmilk b/c it no longer has any nutritional value
    2) move carseat to forward facing (heck no)
    3) add eggs, honey, seafood and peanut butter - Eggs we may add but no way for seafood (murcury).
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Breastmilk actually has MORE fat after the age of one. Some nutrient levels evolve over the course of lactation, but it certainly doesn't mean that your milk lacks nutrition now.

Here's a thread that might interest you:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ent+breastmilk

This resource is helpful, too:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

FWIW - We tried transitioning DS to cows milk after he turned one ... but it turns out that DS is allergic to cows milk. So far all the doctors and nurses we've worked with about DS allergies are DELIGHTED that DS is continuing to breastfeed because the breastmilk he's getting is such a wonderful source of fat & calcium & other nutrition.

Things like rice & soy milk just don't have enough fat for a toddler DS age, and I really didn't want to have to transition DS to formula after 13 mo of successful BF.

Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Reading all of this makes me so appreciative of my kids' pediatrician. We had our 18mo check up last week, and I was concerned about mild spooning of DD's nails (which can be indicative of anemia). The doctor confirmed that there is substantial nutritional benefit to my nursing still, and felt there was no reason to check the baby's blood unless there were a clinical indication. No "routine" blood tests. And last time when we were in for a check up and I asked her opinion on my continued nursing, she quoted the AAP's and WHO's recommendations. It helps me to have a little ammo behind me when my husband is pretty anti-nursing.

If not for you women online educating me on "extended" nursing, I'd never have considered doing what I now know to be so right for my children and would certainly have stopped long ago.

Here is what the World Health Organization has to say about breastfeeding nutrition.

What my health visitor said to me here in the UK.

She said that once a baby is on solids that the fat content in whatever milk the baby takes DOES NOT matter any more, because the baby's main source of nourishment is now coming from the FOOD!

If your doctor's really that bothered about breastmilk vs cow's milk! You should've said to him straightaway "Oh I'll simply give my baby a dollop of cream then, that's will sort out the different!".

I have never heard such nonsense from a doctor in my life!