Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Juice at 6 months?

Default Juice at 6 months?

I went to our 6 month appointment for WIC. They have been totally supportive of my bf and all that. However they now give me 2 checks a month or my dd for juice. She is 6.5 months and most definitely doe not drink juice but our tax dollars do pay for her to have2 large cans of Juicy Juice a month. Sometimes I really don't understand the things this program does. Just venting, I know I don;t have to give it to her and I don't. I end up giving it away because we don;t drink much juice and they won't take it off my check.

Default Re: Juice at 6 months?

Bummer about the WIC program and the fact they won't take it off your check! We don't give Ari juice either...Dr said it is not necessary. My niece got juice as a baby and ended up with cavities at like 3 yrs old.

BOO Juice in an infant. And shame on WIC for perpetuating the idea that "Juicy Juice" is actually HEALTHY!!! It's great that you know better but its' very sad because many women on WIC don't know better and trust the people at WIC like health care professionals and will give juice and thinks its really helping.

Way too lazy for formula

Hmm, is the juice for baby? I know that sounds like a dumb question...but WIC has always given me juice as part of my own "nutrition" as a BFing mom. I don't remember what was given when Kayla was that age, particularly since the program has changed so much. But, like pp said...at least you know better. Sadly a lot of women don't and these are the women who follow exactly the ADVICE of so called experts.
    This may be kind of under handed but one of the two things you can do...get the juice, and later on take it back to the store w/o receipt and explain to them that you do not need it and ask if you can exchange it for other grocery items. I did that with several cans of formula because I wanted them out of my house! The other option...don't cash the checks at all. You're not going to be penalized for not using the checks. KWIM?

Not tyring to hijack, but curious...when can LOs get juice? The book i'm using say they can have a teeny-tiny bit that's very watered down 6 months +. Is this wrong advice?
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaUAE View Post
    Not tyring to hijack, but curious...when can LOs get juice? The book i'm using say they can have a teeny-tiny bit that's very watered down 6 months +. Is this wrong advice?
    Sure you CAN give it to them. But it's not recommended anymore for babies at all. They get all the juice they need from fresh fruit as well as getting all the fiber from the fruit and good nutrients form the skin as well.(if you are doing BLS)IMO giving babies juice is akin to putting sugar on rice or chocolate in milk to get them to eat or drink. It gives them a taste for sweet things. And then they may not EVER be interested in plain water. I know most people I know (myself included) who grew up with juice have or had a really hard time getting interested in plain water. I wanted something sweeter. I don't want that for my son. He is 21months old and all he ever drinks is water and BM. That is all he needs. BM. And water with his meals and to walk around with all day when we are apart. I don't want him thinking juice is a normal part of life. I have been able to repeatedly lose 10lbs just by cutting the juice out of my life. It doesn't really serve any purpose. Especially if you eat fresh fruit everyday. Which we do.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by walimaki View Post
    Hmm, is the juice for baby? I know that sounds like a dumb question...but WIC has always given me juice as part of my own "nutrition" as a BFing mom.
    Yes. The nurse there was surprised and said it must be new. I get 5 cans just for me and 2 for her, with her name on the checks.