Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Forbidden" foods

Default Re: "Forbidden" foods

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with a couple of things that DJ's mom said. First, my 6 month old son has been getting broccoli for a couple of months now and has not had a problem - other than he doesn't like them . I have a friend who's 1 year old still has a hard time with broccoli, though, so I think it just depends on your kid.
    Well, I think we are talking about different things here. If you have been feeding your 6month old broccoli for a couple of months than is it safe to assume you are doing purees for your child? I did Baby led Solids and I believe the OP mentioned they were basically skipping purees. All the research I did showed that broccoli could be problematic before the 7month point. I think it just wasn't a recommended 1st food. And we didn't start solids until he was 6months old and physically ready. Could sit unassisted, pincher grasp ect. So we waited a little over a month to try broccoli.
    Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Also, They can have homemade carrots and other root veggies before a year. The Pediatrics Board only says that a baby should not have them before 4 months. If you are concerned about the nitrates, then use organic root veggies because they will have less nitrates than conventional. Here is the list of the food that could be high in nitrates...
    beets
    carrots
    green beans
    squash
    turnips
    spinach
    collard greens
    I was concerned about nitrates in his food far past the 4 month point. Since at that point I wasn't even feeding him solids at all. And really I was concerned past the 9 month point as well. We avoided all the foods on this list until the year point except spinach. And only because I NEVER heard it was a nitrate issue. Or I would have waited on that as well....At the year point though... we relaxed quite a bit. It was like "Well if it's okay to have bacon...I'm pretty sure carrots or OK too!

Way too lazy for formula

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

What's this thing about nitrates? Do they only exist in the US They've never been mentioned in the UK. Carrots are recommended as first food.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sMum View Post
    What's this thing about nitrates? Do they only exist in the US They've never been mentioned in the UK. Carrots are recommended as first food.
    I'm no good at links...but go to wholesomebabyfood.com they have good info on nitrates and blue baby syndrome.....

Way too lazy for formula

My son is 9.5 months old and I was real careful with particular foods that I gave him. I was doing egg yolks only (the whites can cause allergies), but yesterday I gave it to him and he did fine. In some foods, I think you just need to keep a close eye to make sure there is no allergic reaction. i.e. egg whites, strawberries, tomatoes. In others, it's more of a concern of choking. The only problem I had with broccoli was that it gave him some stinky gas!

I could be wrong, but I think that the nitrate thing is generally misunderstood. I did the research and read the official statement made by the professionals and it said that the nitrates are only a risk before 4 months. Like I said, I could be wrong, but that is what I found.

Do you have the book Super Baby Food Diet?? It talks about what is age appropriate when you can offer foods, how to make, etc. If I remember correctly "The Book" says carrots at 7 months. But like I said I am not 100% sure. You may want to check the library to see if they have it or I "won" mine on eBay!

HTH ~ My family has been pretty supportive but my ILs LOVE LOVE LOVE to feed children "BAD" foods! Thankfully LO is not around them that much!

Tiffany

Going to the library is a great idea, and I'm ashamed to say I hadn't even thought of it!!! I will look for that book and see what else they have too.

I don't expect that my family would give him anything they believed would be harmful to him, but my ideas and theirs may be a little different. (And in the interest of fairness, I do tend to be a worrywart ).

Just to throw in on the carrot issue, when I talked to my ped about baby led solids and making my own baby foods, she recommended that the only thing I don't make myself was carrot purees because even organic carrots may be grown in soils that contain high levels of nitrates. She said if I was to give carrot purees (which I didn't do anyway) she recommended I use a store bought baby food because they are required to do extensive testing on the soils that they grow their carrots in. She didn't give an upper limit on age, though. We started giving our lo steamed baby carrots at about 11 months.

My family thinks we're weird about food, too. And we're not even that strict about it. Apparently according to my parents, if you don't let your child eat anything and everything (cut into tiny peices or pureed to death, of course) you are weird. I just try to ignore the comments, not freak out on them too much when they give her something I don't want her to have, and try to make it very clear when there is something I absolutely don't want her to have (like eggs, for some reason my mom is dying to give her eggs).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Why are grapes, tomatoes, and kiwi off limits? We've given it to my 7 month old (in very small quantities and cut up, of course). Yikes!
    Last edited by cmp12345; October 2nd, 2007 at 11:19 AM.

Grapes are a high choking hazard for babies. One of the other teachers at the daycare I used to work at was always giving her LO grapes from the time she got teeth (around6-7 mo) and when she nearly choked to death the woman finally started listening to the rest of us.

Tomatoes and Kiwi (If I remember right ont he kiwi) are high in acidity and can cause rashes and upset tummies. HTH

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!