Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Forbidden" foods

Default "Forbidden" foods

My son is six months old and beginning solids, and we're following an essentially baby-led approach (not exclusively; we're pretty flexible, but skipping rice cereal and most purees). This is new to us, and very new for my family--they think it's "New Age" or something lol. The issue is this: it is important to me that Thomas have good eating habits, and there are some foods I am not willing for him to have; others we will handle as occasional treats, but not until he's older.

We went for his 6-month checkup yesterday and I told our pediatrician that I wanted to enlist her help (meaning make her the bad guy lol), and presented her with a partial list of off-limits food. That way when I get the eye-rolling from family members, I can say, "Well, Dr. Wells said no...."

So far ours includes:
    hot dogs
    anything fried (chicken nuggets etc)
    vienna sausages (gross, I know, but my brother loves them)
    peanut butter
    honey
    dairy products

What am I missing? What are your off-limits foods?

Default Re: "Forbidden" foods

My family has accepted if I don't SPECIFICALLY say it's OK, then it is not OK. Of course, Grandma doesn't think that applies to ice cream but she's starting to get the point.

So if it isn't carrot mush or banana mush, it's off limits (for now).

Grapes, Strawberries, Citrus Fruits, dairy other than yogurt, nuts, and sweets are some of our "off limits" foods that you don't have on your list hth

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

pretty much anything my MIL gives my kids is off limits but she's a whole lot bigger than me and doesn't listen to no very often. luckily we only see her twice a year so i either let it slide or when she gets in one of her "the kids are starving" modes we go visit other family in the area for an hour or two.

The thing is not that they're going to intentionally give him something we say no about, but I have a 3-year-old niece and a nephew who's 3 months older than Thomas, and I think sometimes they just don't think about it if they're giving the other kids something. And I think too that it just doesn't seem like a big deal to them-it's just Paula being a worrywart again .

Quote Originally Posted by MeganBeth View Post
    Grapes, Strawberries, Citrus Fruits, dairy other than yogurt, nuts, and sweets are some of our "off limits" foods that you don't have on your list hth
    This is a good list. I'd like to add (And this is all ONLY to the year point) Tomatoes, beef, pork, and anything with SALT. ) I would talk about what IS OK. Which should mostly Whole Fruits and Veggies. There is a good list over at KellyMom.com it talks about what ages things are appropriate. Like there were some things that couldn't be handled at 6months that could be handled after 7months like Broccoli. KWIM? And we added in poultry at between 9&10 months(Turkey and chicken) but waited on the red meat. Also NO CARROTS until the year point because of nitrates. HTH.

Way too lazy for formula

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

anything containing salt and sugar

I have to respectfully disagree with a couple of things that DJ's mom said. First, my 6 month old son has been getting broccoli for a couple of months now and has not had a problem - other than he doesn't like them . I have a friend who's 1 year old still has a hard time with broccoli, though, so I think it just depends on your kid. Also, They can have homemade carrots and other root veggies before a year. The Pediatrics Board only says that a baby should not have them before 4 months. If you are concerned about the nitrates, then use organic root veggies because they will have less nitrates than conventional. Here is the list of the food that could be high in nitrates...
    beets
    carrots
    green beans
    squash
    turnips
    spinach
    collard greens

On my list of "no-no's" is honey, cow's milk, eggs, citrus fruit, kiwi, strawberries, nuts, fish/shellfish. Also, I have recently heard that wheat should be avoided for 1 year - unfortunately I found that one out too late. Hope that helps!

Nitrates are the biggest concern until 9 months so we waited for carrots and spinach (the other nitrate stuff we don't eat anyway). We gave egg yolk at 11 months and egg white at 12 months. Yogurt and cheese we gave at 8.5-9 months but very rarely until 13 months. We didn't give honey or stuff with honey in them (like some breads) until 12 months. We still have not given any honey at 15 months other than the small amount that is in breads and crackers. We also didn't give any strawberries and anything with cocoa until 12 months. We have not (and not planning to until at least 3 years) given any nuts including peanuts.
    We don't eat pork, hot dogs, sausage, deli meat, etc. so he won't have those either but I started giving him beef and chicken starting around 7 months. Also we have given fish (wild salmon) starting around 9 months.
    As for other fruits and vegetables we waited for citrus fruits until 9 months. Other than that as long as it is in a shape and form not causing any choking hazard we gave everything.

Thank you all for your responses. I really hadn't thought about strawberries or kiwi, and although we have no allergies in either of our families, we're not going to do nuts either. I am looking forward to broccoli at some point, mainly because I love it!!