Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help- Advantages for delaying solids if we have a family hx of allergies

Default Please help- Advantages for delaying solids if we have a family hx of allergies

Hi Everyone!
    My DD just turned 9m yesterday and is exclusively breastfed. I have read that delaying solids can help prevent food allergies. My brother has severe severe allergies (all dairy, all nuts, all shellfish, mushrooms- pray for him it's hard!). Do you know of any articles or have you heard of anything where delaying solids is helpful and for how long to delay? If so, can you tell me about it? I'm not sure if we've waited long enough or not. Also, is there a benefit to giving her rice cereal now?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Please help- Advantages for delaying solids if we have a family hx of allergies

I have never seen any resources that say that commercial rice baby cereal is beneficial at any time as it's basicly enriched white rice. It's not likely to be allergenic and that's the main "benefit" I'm aware of.

You'll probably find the info you're looking for here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html (check the allergy references)

HTH!