Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Playtex Nurser question

Question Playtex Nurser question

I work full-time during the day. I pump at work, and DS (age 9 weeks) eats EBM from a bottle during the day. We were using the Playtex Ventair bottles, but DH (who feeds DS from the bottle) doesn't like these bottles b/c of problems with air getting into the bottle. So, Friday I purchased the Playtex Nurser bottles. The issue that DH is having with these bottles is that he can't get the air to go all the way out of the bottle drop-in. Also, DS is apparently having a difficult time getting the milk to come out of the nipple. Do any of you have any suggestions about what we're doing wrong and/or any helpful advice? Thanks so much.

Default Re: Playtex Nurser question

I use these for my son at daycare. When we use them we don't mess with trying to get the air out. We just make sure to burp him real well. I ventair system is supposed to have the air flow in the bottle then out through the top (I believe). We use both kinds and DS had a little trouble in the beginging with the vent air nipples. They were to hard for him to suckle and got alot of air in his belly from them. We had to wait unitl he was older to use them when he had more mouth strength.

I pump once a day so my husband can give a bottle and we use the drop ins. Since my fingers aren't long enought to push the air out I have to stuff a burp cloth up the bottom and push up on that. Then, after you've got all the air out, put the nipple cap on and turn it upside down if you're not ready to feed right away. I also bought the One Step system so you can store the milk right in the drop ins. The pack comes with an attachment also so you can hook the drop ins right up to your breast pump. Pretty cool!

I didn't like those bottles. I use the Avent system. The nipples vent into the rings, and the air escapes around the neck instead of going back into the bottle. They also have wide nipples so she can actually latch onto them.

My DD uses the Playtex nursers. We didn't like the drop-ins because of all the air - it was hard to push it out. I use the Lansinoh (or gerber) bags. It's easy since I store my milk in them anyway and the bag collapses as baby drinks. These definitely worked better for us.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)