Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cluster Feeding

Default Cluster Feeding

This is my 5th baby but the 2nd bf baby while I work full-time. I pump at work and I leave bottles for him during the day. He pretty much refuses to eat during the day while I am gone until he is starving about 4 p.m. Any suggestions? He nurses almost constantly when I come home and we co-sleep so he nurses throughout the night.

Default Re: Cluster Feeding

Have you tried using different bottles? I also pump at work during the day, so DS (age 9 weeks) uses a bottle during the day. He likes Playtex Ventair bottles. They're a little more expensive that some of the other bottles available, but they're supposed to cut down on the amount of gas that DS ingests while eating. We've also tried Avent and another type of Playtex, but DS doesn't like them. Your baby might not like the nipples that you're using - depending on the type of nipple, your baby might have to work too hard to get the milk to come out.

That's my only suggestion - HTH!

Default Re: Cluster Feeding

That's call "reverse cycle nursing", baby don't eat much when apart from mom and as soon as they reunited nurse constantly. IMO if the baby is gaining weight properly and have a good diaper output, it shouldn't be a reason to be concern. But that's my opinion only, I haven't had that type of experience myself. If you still concern about the situation contact a LC or a LLLL. You can try other bottles too.