Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: White Spots on Teeth- Should I night wean??

Default White Spots on Teeth- Should I night wean??

I've read the sticky content about the white spots being the first signs of tooth issues and I've been brushing DS's teeth 2-3 times a day but we night nurse. Sometimes all night. Today he woke up from a nap and smiled at me and I saw chalky white spots on his two front teeth. DH verified for me he saw them too and that we did not notice them yesterday. After brushing, feeding some cereal and giving him some water, I'm not seeing them now. I feel like I'm going crazy... (DH is not home so can't verify). Here are my questions:

1) Is it possible that he had dried spit up on his teeth during his nap?

2)Has anyone treated the white spots and had them get better or go away?

3)Do white spots mean I should stop night nursing? DS doesn't eat a lot during the day at day so I'm afraid of cutting it out.

Thanks in advance. I'm really freaking out over here...

Default Re: White Spots on Teeth- Should I night wean??

If the spots went away, I wouldn't worry too much, since it sounds like you are being very conscientious with tooth care. How old is your DS? At around 12 months we saw some white marks on Jeremy's teeth, and decided to take him to a pediatric dentist, but the dentist didn't seem worried, said it was just the way the teeth were growing in. If you brush before bedtime to get rid of all other food particles, then BM in itself usually doesn't cause decay (it can when it interacts with other stuff on the teeth). But susceptibility to decay is also strongly affected by genetic factors. If you or your DH has had problems with decay, and the white marks reappear, it might be worth taking him to a dentist to check it out. We're still night nursing, and I'm a touch nervous about it, but we brush really well at night. We'll definitely take him for another checkup when he turns two.
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

Quote Originally Posted by JMDE77 View Post
    Today he woke up from a nap and smiled at me and I saw chalky white spots on his two front teeth.
    Are they near the gum line? If so, it could be an early sign of tooth decay.

I'm no expert, but I've also read that white spots on the teeth can be associated with other things as well - e.g., fluorosis (too much fluoride), etc. Perhaps a pediatric dentist could put your mind at ease?

The white marks were actually near the bottom of the tooth. I spoke to a friend of mine who is studying dentistry and she said that when the teeth are dry that you can see things that are not visible when the tooth is wet. Since I saw it after a nap she said it is likely the tooth was dry from him sleeping with his mouth open. She said she would come have a look and let me know if I need to go to the pediatric dentist before he turns 12 mos (he's 9 mos now). he's not on my dental insurance get but thankfully open enrollment is coming up!

I'll be interested to hear what she says -- we have a couple of white marks near the bottom as well. Could you update after you talk to her? TIA!
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup