Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How could you tell when your milk was in?

Default How could you tell when your milk was in?

I was reading another post and came up with this question: How could you tell when your milk was "in"?

My babies' doctor was always asking me this when they were first born. It seems like it was such a gradual process that there wasn't exactly one moment in particular that I could say, "Hey, my milk just came in!" For those that have engorgement, did it happen like that, all-of-a-sudden?

"Milk coming in" seems to me to be abstract and hard to define, yet its occurance seems to have a lot of significance. Maybe it's my biology though...

So, I'd like to hear: How could you tell when your milk was in?

(FYI, what I learned in time for my twins: A 2-day-old baby crying after nursing isn't hungry; she's nursing a lot to prepare your body to make PLENTY of milk for the upcoming days and weeks when she IS hungry. So, nurse, nurse, nurse! And it worked. I was able to produce enough milk for both my babies without pumping.)

Default Re: How could you tell when your milk was in?

I woke up to pee on the night of day three. I was hoping my milk would come soon because i could tell the lo was starting to act like she needed it. I looked in the mirror and was graced with a nice set of double c's. They felt warm and were hard. I was engorged. I relieved with a pump and my baby has been chowing down ever since*(with a few struggles along the way)
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Kudos to you for successfully nursing twins! That's fabulous!! I was DEFINITELY engorged on days 3 and 4, especially! Ouch, miserable, too! Plus, I leaked CONSTANTLY!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

I have noticed that it happens differently for every mom and with each child. I woke up day 3 with total torpedo boobs even DH was like this was after living with the pump hooked up to me! seriously I even fell asleep while pumping once .

Quote Originally Posted by surfinrn&mom2mason View Post
    I have noticed that it happens differently for every mom and with each child. I woke up day 3 with total torpedo boobs even DH was like this was after living with the pump hooked up to me! seriously I even fell asleep while pumping once .
    I know I woke my dh out of a deep sleep to check mine out and his jaw also . btw I once started to pump without the bottles attached...talk about sleep deprivation
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Quote Originally Posted by kaykate23 View Post
    I know I woke my dh out of a deep sleep to check mine out and his jaw also . btw I once started to pump without the bottles attached...talk about sleep deprivation
    I just laughed so loud I scare the dogs and DH!!!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaykate23 View Post

With my daughter, I found out my milk came in when my husband woke me up at night telling me that I was getting him all wet. I was laying on my back and my boobs were SO overfilled that the left one was squirting a steady stream straight into the air and down onto my husband. He said he jumped out of bed because he thought that a pipe was leaking through the ceiling...so when he turned on the light, he saw the culprit was my boob. LOL

That was fun...no, not really, but it's one of those things you look back on and laugh...

Like the time I went to the store when my daughter was just about a week old to get breast pads and some odds and ends. I was standing in line waiting to pay for my stuff when I heard a baby cry. Now, this was before I knew all about the pressure to the nipples during those times to prevent let-down...and that ANY baby can set the boobs off. So, I get to the register and the cashier says, "Uh, ma'am...you're milk is leaking..." all quiet-like. I just looked at her and said, "I didn't buy any milk." And she stiffled a laugh and just said, "No...um..." and discreetly pointed to my chest. And lo and behold, there were 2 HUGE milk made wet spots on my black tank top...growing bigger by the second. THAT'S when she told me about the pressure trick.

*sigh*

The things we do for kids.

And you know when baby pulls off with milk dribbling out the side of his/her mouth - a sweet and precious sight

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by caldangel View Post
    With my daughter, I found out my milk came in when my husband woke me up at night telling me that I was getting him all wet. I was laying on my back and my boobs were SO overfilled that the left one was squirting a steady stream straight into the air and down onto my husband. He said he jumped out of bed because he thought that a pipe was leaking through the ceiling...so when he turned on the light, he saw the culprit was my boob. LOL