Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting frustrated!!

Unhappy getting frustrated!!

My handsome baby is 11 days old and he has decided to scream and cry when I try to get him to latch on. He has done great breastfeeding... a correct latch, eating often enough, peeing and pooping, etc. Now the last few days he will cry when I try to get him to latch on and it takes about 15 minutes to finally get him on. Once he's on he does fine, but it is frustrating me that he does that and every time I go to feed him I worry that he won't latch on.
    When he was first born, I fed him standing up (because it hurt me to sit down... ) in the cradle position and lately I have been trying to feed him in the same position, but sitting down. But I've even gone back to standing up and that doesn't work either. I've tried every position known to man and nothing works. He doesn't sputter or choke when he latches on or anything. He does seem to have a bit of gas, but with all that crying who wouldn't?! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Tell me this will get better!!

Oh, I was wondering too if maybe I was feeding him before he was ready. I've been trying to look for his "early feeding cues" like rooting, etc. but could it be possible that I am trying to feed him before he is ready and that is making him mad? The longest he's ever gone is 4 hours. He usually eats every 2-3 hours.

Default Re: getting frustrated!!

Hello there! And congrats on you wee one! Well.. it sounds like he is doing well with the exception of the crying. Does he take anything else besides you, bottles, pacis? If so he could have a bit of nipple confusion? If not, maybe he is not hungry? Have you tried to wait a bit longer and then offer the breast again? My ds did this very same thing, once I started to swaddle him, hands and all he would settle and latch on a bit sooner. As long as he gets on and has a good feed this might be something that you will just have to kinda deal with for a little while. I promise you that he will not be one and still crying while trying to latch on. LOL Please keep us updated!

Congrats on the baby!!

You know, dd goes back and forth from the cooperative nurser tot he impossible nurser!

When she cries like that, I use Gripe Water (you can use as early as 2 weeks old) - and then nurse. I alos nurse her upright, as if she were sitting on my lap. Gas hurts more laying down i am told. Also, I pat her butt and try to nurse at the same time. Sometimes hubby helps with patting as it gets to be a little tricky. But eventually she latches.

IMO, i would say feeding her too early is better than feeding too late when they are panicing and screaming. Maybe you are feeding too late - maybe do a little sooner than you think he neeeds it?

How is he today?