Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: crying- too much gas

Unhappy crying- too much gas

My little one is 4 weeks and after combating an over supply issue, he is now super fussy at the breast and cries all the time. I feed on one side, try to burp him (never any success) change his diaper, and offer the same breast (was block feeding so i got used to one side). But after he feeds, it looks like he is tired, i go to put him down and he screams! I can hear his tummy rumble and he has lots of farts. I am at wits end with him crying, my DH has been a great help, but he too is frustrated. Any suggestions!!!!

Default Re: crying- too much gas

I would have a LLL leader check your latch.

Also - get some Gripe Water - it is what we call magic water!

Gripe water worries me. Every brand has their own ingredients, can anyone recommend a brand that they used?

The most common way a breastfed baby gets air bubbles in his tummy is by swallowing air while crying. If you tend towards oversupply, and perhaps a rapid letdown, that can also lead baby to swallow some air while nursing. Keep working on the burping strategies and different positions.

I think someone here recently suggested placing baby tummy down on a birthing ball and gently rocking and massaging -- the counterpressure on the tummy can help with those gas bubbles.

There's also the "I-Love-U" massage on his tummy, with a little bit of oil so your fingers can slide easily over his skin -- the idea is to help move the bubbles "clockwise" through his intestines.

Another thing that many parents find helps immensely with after-feeding crying is to wear the baby down to sleep -- use a sling or a carrier, or just hold him upright against your chest and walk around humming. When he is very soundly asleep (usually ~20 minutes after falling asleep) then you may have more luck laying him down.

I personally never used gripe water -- I just don't trust anything but breastmilk for an exclusively breastfed young infant.

--Rebecca