Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foremilk/Hindmilk Issue, Now not enough milk??

Default Foremilk/Hindmilk Issue, Now not enough milk??

I have been TRYING to breastfeed for 4 weeks now. After the first week, my son began vomiting & staying in a fussy all the time. The doctor advised us to feed every 3 hours, 10 minutes on the first side & switch if needed. He also placed the baby on Axid for reflux. This was supposed to cure him from all the screaming. My milk seemed to be flowing rapidly. However, when I've needed to pump, I struggled to get 3-4 oz. For the last week, my son has had green poop. Occasionally, there has been blood present. For three days, I have tried block feeding, allowing him only to nurse off one side until he quit, which usually is when he falls asleep. The fussines decreased. However, today has been hell. He is extremly fussy. He seems to be starving whenever he is awake. Could I have influenced my milk to dramatically decrease? Did I mention, he has gained alot of weight from 9.2 to 11.6 in 4 weeks?
    Last edited by asuddreth; May 29th, 2006 at 05:06 PM.

Default Re: Foremilk/Hindmilk Issue, Now not enough milk??

Your son's weight gain (9 oz. per week) is a little higher than the average 5-6 oz. per week at this stage. But some babies dealing with oversupply have MUCH higher gains.

It is possible that he is going through a growth spurt.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/spurt.html

Sounds like up until today things have been going better for you! Hang in there and keep up the good work. It will get easier.

Let me how you are doing.