Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is five minutes enough? And other questions...

Default Is five minutes enough? And other questions...

Based on reading and research, I've recently realized that I am dealing with issues related to oversupply. I've started using block feeding and positioning techniques to help address this concern, but I have a few questions. Any help would be much appreciated!

1. My five-week-old tends to feed every 2-3 hours during the day, and every 3-4 hours at night, but only for five to seven minutes. Even before I began block feedings, she was rarely interested in taking the second breast. Her weight gain is (well) above average, she has plenty of wet and dirty diapers each day, and she gives every indication of being satisfied following feedings. I know that I should use these cues as my guide, but I still seem to doubt myself. Most of what I read describes feedings that are 15-20 minutes long. She never does this! Are her feedings shorter due to my overabudant supply? Should I be at all concerned about this (i.e. make efforts to encourage her to feed for longer periods of time)?

2. She often makes clicking/smacking sounds while feeding. I know that this is often referred to as a sign of an improper latch, but is it possible that she uses it as a way to cope with the forceful flow of milk? I have no nipple pain or discomfort, and from everything I can tell by visual inspection, her latch is great. Even when I remove her and attempt another latch, we often end up with clicking/smacking noises again. Again, is there any reason to be concerned here? I don't want to repeatedly interrupt her feedings by removing her from the breast if this isn't a real problem...

Thanks for any advice...

Default Re: Is five minutes enough? And other questions...

I know that I should use these cues as my guide, but I still seem to doubt myself. Most of what I read describes feedings that are 15-20 minutes long. She never does this! Are her feedings shorter due to my overabudant supply? Should I be at all concerned about this (i.e. make efforts to encourage her to feed for longer periods of time)?
    Many breastfed babies only stay at the breast for a few minutes. Babies can be extremely efficient when they nurse and get everything they need in 5 minutes or less! If your baby is having 5-6 wet diapers + 3-4 bowel movements per day (after 6 weeks of age, breastfed babies will sometimes go several days between bowel movements) and otherwise gaining weight well then there is no reason to try to make her nurse longer. Try to stop doubting yourself! It sounds like you & baby are doing really well.

Regarding the sounds you are hearing while she's nursing -- if you aren't feeling any pain and baby is gaining well, then there's no reason for concern. Not all latches are "textbook"

HTH!

Red face Re: Is five minutes enough? And other questions...

Thanks so much for your reply. This is such a great resource for nursing moms -- and your time is much appreciated! The information and the encouragement are a real help!

just to add to this...i could have written your post word for word. now, eight months later we are nursing like champs. you sound like you are doing a great job. now just learn to trust yourself!

Unhappy Re: Is five minutes enough? And other questions...

How frustrating! Things are pretty much the same with David except his nursings are MAYBE 3 minutes and every hour and a half around the clock. He has developed a shallow latch to try to deal with it and I in turnam developing very sore nipples. Am lost as to what to do as I have tried everything I can find recomended to try and help. David has most of the signs listed on the LLL site for overactive letdown. He appears content for about an hour after each feeding then we start all over again. I keep getting pressured to express and let hubby feed him once in night so I can at least sleep for 2 hours but I know myself and this would lead quickly to a FF baby. Besides, hubby doesnt hear ANYthing when he's asleep so I would have to get up to wake him up and with 3 minute feedings I could have him fed and back asleep before I could manage to wake him up or to fix a bottle.
    Obviously Davey only gets one breast a feeding. I lay so milk has to flow "uphill". I have been trying to block feed last few days but how long doe sthat take to start working if it's going to? And does anyone have any other suggestions that even MIGHT help? I am so completely exhausted and utterly frustrated! And me feeling that way just makes Davey more irritable at the breast and messes things up even more.
    Davey will be a whole month old already tomorrow! He is gaining weight well and otherwise is very healthy.
    I guess the worst is I'm so exhausted all of the time and so tired of cleaning milk off of everything every time I feed him. <SIGH>

Check out this thread where I discuss this issue with another mom. There is also another thread here in the "Oversuppy" Forum.

http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=3181

You mention trying different things to help ds. How long are your block feeds?

It may take several days or a week to downgrade supply.

Do you pump?

Does ds take a pacifier?

Does he burp? Once a baby like this finally works a burp out, he may be hungry again, because the air was taking up room in his stomach.

What has his weight gain been?

How are his diaper outputs?

Hang in there! These these situations usually get better as baby gets older.

I will look for your reply.

We have about 3 feedings a side before we switch.
    I pumped one time so hubby could try to feed him and DS refused the bottle-YAYYY davey I was very happy he refused and DH will just have to wait a few months or however long till is tiem for cereal to feed him. But other than that time no I don't pump.
    Yes he loves his paci, was just comfort nursing quite often first 2 weeks, but then he started refusing, guess he was mad being sprayed in teh face when all he really wanted to do was suck not eat
    Excellent burper once we figured out what worked for him. Generally every feeding he burps twice(even with such short nursings), then spits up quite a bit a few minutes later but can't get him to go back to breast after.
    14 diapers a day, sometimes more.
    Davey has grown an inch and a half(23" now) and is up by about 3 pounds since birth.
    Thank you so much for your reply! He must have gotten some of the good stuff last night as he slept better only woke up 3 times!!

You may correct me if I am wrong, but you said he has gained 3 pounds in 4 weeks, is that correct?

If so, then he is definitely at the high end of weight gain, which may be indicative of oversupply. Average weight gain at his age is 5-6 oz. per week. He has gained 12 oz. per week.

Also bb dealing with oversupply often get so much milk so fast that don't actually take enough time at the breast to get their sucking needs met. These are the babies for whom it is helpful to use a pacifier.

I should have specified when I asked about your block feeds: For how many hours do you only offer the one side?

Also, what color are his bm's?

I hope you found some info in my links. There are lots of things you can try to help you baby with oversupply. I would be happy to help more.

Please let me know how things are going.

Pretty darn close to 3 full pounds yes <SIGH> I have been keeping him to one breast for about 4 hours and his bm's are pure liquid and bright green. I had the same excess of milk with my daughter but for whatever reason it never bothered her and until Davey I never even knew WAS such a thing as oversupply, but then he is so extremely sensitive to everything in his little world whereas nothign seemed to bother Leah. I just thought that's just the way it was supposed to be.
    And it seems may be a bit better than a few days ago as he actually came back for seconds this afternoon and then left off for 3 hours or so. Apparently he got to the higher fat content and was more satisfied

To: theclarkfamily

I seem to have a lot in common with you. My daughter is now 3 months and also, especially at night, doesn't nurse for the 15-20 minutes that you read most places that she should be doing; usually more like 5-10 since birth. However, she has been gaining weight at an average rate so I wouldn't worry. Also, you mentioned the sound your baby makes that could signal improper latch on. My daughter also makes these smacking sounds and I think you are right when you guess that it is the baby dealing with an oversupply/OALD. She tries so hard to keep up with the flow that milk is always squirting everywhere. I too do not feel any pain associated with it so I wouldn't worry about the sounds. It's funny and almost embarrasing b/c of the attn it draws when you're nursing in public, but what can you do? As long as your baby is gaining weight, seems satisfied, and you aren't in extreme pain, I wouldn't worry.