Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solid food / schedule?

Default Solid food / schedule?

Hello all- I started my son on solids about a month ago, when he turned 6 months- beginning with rice cereal at breakfast, then slowly introducing yellow vegetables like squash, sweet potato, and carrots- one at a time, at lunch- all the while, bfing first at each meal (or giving baby ebm while I'm at work). Kind of following the "Super Baby Food" book theory. Then, we "graduated" to giving him 3 meals a day, adding rice cereal at dinner, and then nursing before bedtime. SO- my question: we visited our pedi last week, who's VERY pro-breastfeeding - and he suggested going back to solely nursing at breakfast, having a bigger lunch (with rice cereal + a veg or two), then nursing at dinner when I get home from work, and again before bed 2 hrs. later (not nursing to sleep, but during our bedtime ritual). I think his theory here is that I'll keep up my milk supply well and keep baby bfing longer. My concern is that we're going from pretty much 3 meals with solid food to only one meal. Is this enough? Can any of you give input on how you've scheduled your solids-- how often? How much? So many questions... thanks!

Default Re: Solid food / schedule?

Wow, going from no solids at all to 3 meals a day in only one month sounds like quite the rapid increase. I think your Dr is right. Solids should be introduced and increased gradually, and having baby eat the bulk of solids while mom and baby are appart is wise, since they can then focus on nursing when they are together.

Solids during the first year are only for fun and learning; they are not needed for nutrition. At 7 mo, I think ds was eating small amounts of solids, twice a day (I'm a SAHM), at breakfast and dinner. His "meals" would consist of no more than 2-3 tablespoons of food in total and he was nursing at least 8-12+ times in 24 hours.

DD is 7 mos as well & we do cereal in am or at lunch with veggie, some cheerios or other finger food at dinner or veggie at dinner (if she didn't get at lunch) or bits of our food - chicken, sweet potato. So overall she prob gets two "meals" (although usually meal = 1-3 tbls cereal and half of jar of veggie). She doesn't like any fruits or we woudl try to encorporate those at lunch vs. veggie or at dinner. Other days she'll just get solids at one time if she refuses other times. I think 3 meals is alot for this age. Check out this website for good info on BF'ing and solids....www.kellymom.com. I think your DS will be fine as long as you keep nursing to make up for what he thinks he may be missing.

My little guy is 7.5 mos and is eating approx 1 to 1 1/2oz of EBM mixed with rice cereal twice a day (breakfast and dinner). I usually add a little banana (1/4 sm to med), OR some apple, OR one baby spoon of carrots OR 1 tsp sweet potatoes mixed into the cereal. Sometimes he isn't interested in eating more than 2 bites. He nurses roughly every 2 hours 24/7.

I agree wth Feorsteorra "Solids should be introduced and increased gradually, and having baby eat the bulk of solids while mom and baby are apart is wise, since they can then focus on nursing when they are together."

You're doing a great job. Keep up the good work.

Deb

I have the Super Babyfood cookbook too. She has great info. about preparing different foods, nutritional information, etc., but her recommendations for amounts of solids to feed babies are way off! She has babies eating a lot more solids than they should be at young ages if they are still BFing. (Her recs. regarding when to introduce allergenic foods are pretty off, too - peanut butter at 10 months?!) I would cut back how much you're feeding your baby. We were feeding my DD about 2 ounces a day until she was about 9 months. Then she suddenly wanted a lot more. She was eating about 8 ounces a day for a few months, now she's cut back to maybe 4 or 5. I keep reminding myself that she's getting the bulk of her nutrition from breastmilk and the food isn't too important right now as she's healthy and still nursing a lot. Try to let you baby take the lead. If you cut back, you'll know if he wants more. But, if you're nursing more he probably won't care.

Jennifer