Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: afraid of early weaning

Default Re: afraid of early weaning

Quote Originally Posted by sa2004
    Feorsteorra ,
    thanks.the doubt i have is how will babies eat solids if they r full with breats milk.i woudl like to undesrtand the logic here.pediatrician said solids may supplement the additional needed calories for his needs.if he eats less then how will he get extra caloires?at his growing bigger age...he currently eats 3-4 spoons solids-i mena rice ceral mixed with suitable consitencey randowm amount of water-both these totalling to about 4 spoons-table sppoons i am nots ure.its teh plascti spoon size.is this too much
    thanks
    If he really needs the extra callories, then he'll still be hungry enough to eat them. I know Dr's often encourage solids during the first year and stress thier "importance," but the truth is that babies can thrive 12 mo or even longer on human milk alone. 4 tablespoons once a day would not be too much solids, so long as baby is still nursing well. If baby seems to be loosing interest in nursing due to solids introduction, then you can cut back on the solids or even cut them out entirely until they baby is nursing well again. Don't worry; nursing your baby is the very best thing for him! Solids during the first year are just for fun and learning.

sa2004,

It sounds like your baby is enjoying learning to eat solid foods. That's great! The reason LLL recommends nursing baby prior to giving solids is to ensure that a baby younger than 12 months of age is receiving mostly breastmilk for the majority of his daily diet. Breastmilk, teaspoon for teaspoon, is far higher in calories and fat than any other kind of food! This is just what baby needs in the first year of life! Breastmilk also contains many other beneficial substances that help baby thrive. To see what it looks like when a mother wants to introduce solids, try visiting: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html

Another site to try is: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp
    These are non-LLL approved sources. Do use what feels right to you and leave the rest.

As for how to tell if baby is hungry, you are the best one to know as you are your baby's mother. Some signs baby may be ready to nurse are: "increased alertness or activity, mouthing, or rooting. Crying is a late indicator of hunger." (American Academy of Pediatrics, http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...ics;100/6/1035)

Depending on the age of the baby, excessive mouthing could be attributed to teething or baby may be "cluster feeding" (baby seems to need to nurse all the time) during a growth spurt. Sometimes babies look to the one source they feel most comforted by when they are teething and uncomfortable: their mother's breasts. Babies nurse not only for nutrition, but also to soothe themselves. The breast is the original pacifier!

Sometimes mothers find themselves feeling overwhelmed when baby is nursing more frequently than usual. (Who wouldn't? )This would be a good time to ask for more help with chores or taking care of older children from a partner or family member or friend . Taking care of yourself while you are putting in this extra "nurturing" energy can help you to be better able to help your little one. It can be amazing what a nap or a walk can do to boost your mood!

Another statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics: "Exclusive breastfeeding is ideal nutrition and sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months after birth. Infants weaned before 12 months of age should not receive cow's milk feedings but should receive iron-fortified infant formula. Gradual introduction of iron-enriched solid foods in the second half of the first year should complement the breast milk diet. It is recommended that breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as mutually desired. In the first 6 months, water, juice, and other foods are generally unnecessary for breastfed infants." (http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...ics;100/6/1035)

You may want to attend a LLL meeting near you. To locate one, call 1 800 LaLeche. These meetings are designed for mothers just like you who choose to breastfeed their babies. There is usually a topic to discuss and a Leader is available to answer any questions you bring. Talking with other mothers about life with baby can make all the difference in finding lasting satisfaction in nursing your baby. (And an hour or two around other mothers can be a great reason to leave the housework behind, too

Warmly,

Eve Erickson
    www.LLLSouthernNevada.com

Hi there! Even if your ds really is more interested in solids he really always needs to have your BM as his primary source of nutrition before he is 1. You may want to try to nurse him in a dark room, with a white noise machine and little or no distractions. I remember that age really being tough I would really want to talk to my husband or watch the TV but anything would make ds pop off. Sorry to say that at 12.5 months he has gotten better but gone are the days that a bomb could go off and ds would nurse right through it. How did the appointment go?

thanks mamaeve, your responce was useful to me. i was wondering why my 5 month old hasnt stopped eating in the last 2 days...what you had to say made perfect sense