Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: To Pump or Not To Pump

Default To Pump or Not To Pump

my lo is almost one year old and i have been pumping at work to provide a bottle for her to have before bed. (i work from 5pm-2am so someone else puts her to bed 5 nights a week) my supply has dropped and i only pump between 2-3.5 ounces during my shift at work. she has been put to bed without a bottle from time to time, and it doesn't seem to bother her not to have it. if i were to stop pumping at work, would i be creating a bigger problem for myself and start to lose my supply altogether? or, would my body just stop producing milk during that time period?

Default Re: To Pump or Not To Pump

There are a couple of things you need to consider:
    How is your baby's solids intake?
    How many times does she nurse when you are together?

If she eats plenty of solids including some yogurt, cheese, eggs and meat then after she turns 1 she will only need about 16 oz of BM per day. This means about 3-4 nursing sessions in 24 hours. Given that you are working between 5pm-2am (mostly during her sleep hours) it is very possible that you can nurse her 3-4 times a day. If that is the case I will say stop pumping. Most babies over 1 year old sleep 12 hours straight without nursing so their moms' bodies learn not to produce milk during those 12 hours and then produce the required 16 something oz during the other 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    Most babies over 1 year old sleep 12 hours straight without nursing so their moms' bodies learn not to produce milk during those 12 hours and then produce the required 16 something oz during the other 12 hours.
    I wish that was the case for me. My son is 17 months and sleeps max 3 hours straight. He constantly nurses through-out the night and only sleeps about 8 hours max altogether at night. I guess some of us are more fortunate than others!!

Quote Originally Posted by pammitch07 View Post
    I wish that was the case for me. My son is 17 months and sleeps max 3 hours straight. He constantly nurses through-out the night and only sleeps about 8 hours max altogether at night. I guess some of us are more fortunate than others!!
    My son doesn't sleep for 12 hours either. He actually wakes up every 40 minutes at times. But many other moms say that their babies sleep through the night starting around 6 months.