Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to make my own baby food.

Default Wanting to make my own baby food.

How would i go about doing that? I would like to start feeding my LO solids soon. Shes 5months atm. What would you guys suggest to being her first food? Oatmeal, rice or barley(sp?).

Default Re: Wanting to make my own baby food.

I make baby food. I really like knowing what my son is eating! Plus I'm a DIY-er by nature.

We're just starting solids here. We started with mashed carrots.

I washed and sliced carrots and cooked them until they were super soft (like canned carrots) and then mashed them with a fork. When I made a big batch, I used a blender. Then I put it into ice-cube trays, froze them and into a bag in the freezer.

I'm stocking up my freezer with totally organic applesauce that I made from my parent's apple trees. And totally organic 100% concord grape juice that I made from their grape vines. Next is off to Farmer's market to buy organic squash... I'm getting carried away.

Since my LO was born ive become more and more organic happy.... I just want to know what shes eating and that shes not getting anything that may harm her.

sorry bout the spelling errors. My lo is sleeping in my arms atm.

basically, you just want to cook food and then puree it. then, it makes things easier if you put the food into ice cube trays so that you can store it for a longer time and then heat up only what your baby will eat. Just make sure you avoid high allergy foods - you can ask your doc what to avoid. you can also find info online about food allergies. There is a good cook book that I use, but I can't think of the name right now and I'm too tired to go get it I'll write again tomorrow with the info.

I used this website.... www.wholesomebabyfood.com .... It's real user friendly and has some good recipes. I would steam my carrots and squash, puree them and use ice trays to freeze them. I would then place them in a ziplock back and it would only take me about 1 1/2 hours to make 3-4 weeks worth of food. I LOVED it. HTH

I have been making a list of helpful sites
    The wholesomebabyfood is a good one and check out this one too.
    http://www.cuisinart.com/recipes/rec...p_tag=for_baby
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Our first food was bananas, then avocados, then sweet potatoes. After these we started oat meal, brown rice and barley cereals. I make all the food myself except for the cereals. I bake the sweet potatoes first, then I just put it through a hand mill and milk with breast milk or water if I don't have enough expressed milk.

Here's the name of the book I mentioned last night...

First Meals by Annabel Karmel

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
    I make baby food. I really like knowing what my son is eating! Plus I'm a DIY-er by nature.

We're just starting solids here. We started with mashed carrots.

I washed and sliced carrots and cooked them until they were super soft (like canned carrots) and then mashed them with a fork. When I made a big batch, I used a blender. Then I put it into ice-cube trays, froze them and into a bag in the freezer.

I'm stocking up my freezer with totally organic applesauce that I made from my parent's apple trees. And totally organic 100% concord grape juice that I made from their grape vines. Next is off to Farmer's market to buy organic squash... I'm getting carried away.

I love the ice cube tray idea. I'm just starting to think about this since my LO is about 4 1/2 months. I will definately use that tip.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.