Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is is possible? Relactating 9 month old

Default Is is possible? Relactating 9 month old

Hi,
    I was forced to stop Breastfeeding when my baby was 3 months old, because I was suffering from Severe Postpartum Depression, and I had to go into the hospital, and the Dr's said my hormones would level out faster and I would feel better if I stopped BF. I have been mourning the loss of that bonding I could have had with my baby if I were able to BF, and I am wanting to know if there is anyway I might be able to relactate and nurse him again. He is 9 months and he uses a pacifier. I have tried to latch him to me, and he refuses, or bites (he thinks I am a teething toy). If I massage my breast I can get a tiny dot of milk, so I figure at least there is something in there. Can anyone give me any advice, I just want to know if I have any chance of this happening, and how to go about it. Thank you so so much for responding!

Default Re: Is is possible? Relactating 9 month old

I am in a very similar situation. I am not attempting to relactate, however I am attempting to return my 9 month old son to breastfeeding. He too fusses, yells, and looks at me like I am nuts...he hasn't bitten yet though but that's because he refuses to even try to latch. My lactation consultant gave me this advice regarding bringing him back to the breast: Try to spend a lot of time skin-to-skin. Let him explore and play on your lap so he gets comfortable being so close to you. I let my son climb on me and I even tolerate him pinching me- whatever piques his interest helps. She also advised taking naps with him, and using that drowsy time after a feeding to try to get him to latch on. I am only a few weeks into all of this, and have not had any luck. I am 30 weeks pregnant with our second child, so in a short while I will have my milk back ( explains why i don't need to relactate lol ) And I think that things will be much easier once my son realizes there is milk there instead of nothing, which frustrates him. I have not tried this yet, but I did have an idea that I think might just work- and it can work for you too. Get a supplemental nursing system like a Lact-Aid. They'll run you around 50-60 bucks. I think we would both have better success if we tried using one of these systems. Good luck!

Default Re: Is is possible? Relactating 9 month old

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmama
    Hi,
    I was forced to stop Breastfeeding when my baby was 3 months old, because I was suffering from Severe Postpartum Depression, and I had to go into the hospital, and the Dr's said my hormones would level out faster and I would feel better if I stopped BF. I have been mourning the loss of that bonding I could have had with my baby if I were able to BF, and I am wanting to know if there is anyway I might be able to relactate and nurse him again. He is 9 months and he uses a pacifier. I have tried to latch him to me, and he refuses, or bites (he thinks I am a teething toy). If I massage my breast I can get a tiny dot of milk, so I figure at least there is something in there. Can anyone give me any advice, I just want to know if I have any chance of this happening, and how to go about it. Thank you so so much for responding!
    I am sorry that you feel so sad about the loss of your BF relationship with your son. Here is some info on relactation. Let me know if you have more questions.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBrelactation.html

Take care and good luck!