Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many "meals"?

Default How many "meals"?

Should my 8 month old be having every day? He gets breakfast and dinner about 95% of the time, unless he refuses or sleeps through dinner. He also nurses every 2-3 hours round the clock still *insert tired mama smiley here*.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Default Re: How many "meals"?

We were pretty flexible about it until Nora started day care, where she gets b-fast and lunch everyday.

We generally make sure she definitely has dinner, because she really does sleep better when she eats a solid dinner these days (this wasn't necessarily the case when she was 8 months, though).

It sounds like your lo is still getting plenty of bm, so it's probably not a big deal if he doesn't get 3 meals a day. He's getting the majority of his nutrition from you!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'll be interested in responses on this one, too! My LO is 7 months old and eats solids usually 2 times per day - cereal in morning and veggie + fruit in afternoon or evening depending on her cues. When PEDI told me to feed her 3x's at 6 months, I was shocked - I tried it and she started not taking her EBM bottles at DC anymore. We lowered to 2 times and she's taking more EBM bottles than ever! Now, I don't want to rock the boat.

Amy

At that age, Zach got as many meals as I remembered/had time to feed him! By about 12 months he started wanting to eat more solids so now we do b/l/d and snacks though he frequently skips 1 or more. We stay flexible!

And he'd still nurse every 2 hours if I'd let him! Hmmm, why don't we have a sleepy smiley?
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

wow your doing better than me! We do dinner regularly (especially on the nights I work he eats a long more solids those evenings)
    We used to do breakfast and dinner, but he would go one to two weeks with out pooping, and then he would be straining so much. I probably should give him more, but I'm pretty lazy. Plus he gags/throws up almost everything I give him to self feed-avocados, cooked carrots, sweet potatoes...so maybe thats a sign he is not ready.
    he will chew and swallow the fruit puffs but he will gag and throw those up once and a while too
    so obviously no advice, just me rambling!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Well Rielly-Anne loves food, but she really only gets one "meal" a day, though I offer her 3 (most days). Breakfast is usually Os, sometimes a little yogurt or fruit. She's not normaly very hungry in the a.m. from all the night nursing! Then lunch is her biggest meal of the day. She loves to sit at the table with all my daycare kids. I usually do meat, veggies and fruit. With a sippy cup of breastmilk. Followed by 3 hours of nap, nursing the entire time!! Sooo, she usually isn't very hungry for dinner either, although I always seat her with us at the table and offer her something. Sometimes she gets a few puffs before bed.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Laith eats almost every day although a few days we've skipped meals. He'll usually have breakfast and lunch. Maybe a veg, maybe a fruit usually with a little rice or otmeal. He really only eats about 2-3 baby spoonfuls of food. (We haven't started BLS yet.) No dinner for him yet because I am allergic to everything and want to be careful.

He still nurses/takes ExBM bottle about every 2 hours.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by hlstevens View Post
    wow your doing better than me! We do dinner regularly (especially on the nights I work he eats a long more solids those evenings)
    We used to do breakfast and dinner, but he would go one to two weeks with out pooping, and then he would be straining so much. I probably should give him more, but I'm pretty lazy. Plus he gags/throws up almost everything I give him to self feed-avocados, cooked carrots, sweet potatoes...so maybe thats a sign he is not ready.
    he will chew and swallow the fruit puffs but he will gag and throw those up once and a while too
    so obviously no advice, just me rambling!
    I totally follow what DD's digestive system seems to be able to handle! I figure it's a good indicator of what she's ready for.

At 10 months, we still don't do 3 squares a day really. I'm trying to give her a little for each now (mainly just so I have an excuse to stick her in the chair and eat myself) but she generally doesn't eat as much for breakfast or lunch as she does for dinner. But I have noticed that it does seem to be gradually increasing. But we too also nurse at least every 2-3 hours a day, so you're not alone there!