Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just found this site...please help. :(

Default Re: Just found this site...please help. :(

I just saw your post and wanted to share my story. My DS actually does have oral aversion problems which resulted in growth problems, though I don't believe that late introduction of solids was the cause of the problem. Most babies who refuse solids are just fine, and mainly I like to share our story so that people can contrast with their own situation and maybe feel more comfortable things are ok if there aren't the other red flags there were with my DS. Anyway, we first started offering solids arounds seven months and DS was not interested at all. For awhile I was not concerned figuring he would eat when he was ready. He was healthy and growing fine until 12 months. Then he stopped gaining weight completely and eventually stopped growing taller as well. Between 12 and 21 months he did not gain any weight at all. He started wanting to nurse more and more frequently day and night. It seems that for some unknown reason, my milk suppply had decreased and was no longer sufficient. It was a very gradual decrease so I didn't really realize it until looking back later. Despite really needing more calories, my DS continued to refuse any solids--never took a single bite of ANYTHING. If I put food in his mouth he would not attempt to chew, move it around in his mouth, swallow, or spit it out. He would simply sit with his mouth hanging open and cry until someone removed the food or it ran out of his mouth. As a baby, he never put toys or other objects in his mouth as most babies do. At 21 months I finally decided we had to do something and took him to a feeding clinic. The nutritionist there recommended I try to increase my supply while we worked on the solids and I started drinking more fluids and taking fenugreek. When my supply increased, DS was suddenly having many more wet diapers. The decline in his output had been very gradual, and before this time I assumed it was just due to his getting older. Later I realized that was not the case. The nutritionist also said that they see babies who refuse solids but continue to grow normally on only breast milk. In my case, however, my supply had dropped. With intervention, DS started eating. With that and the increase in my supply he immediately starting gaining weight again after 9 months of staying the same size. We are still working on new textures and chewing, and he's still nursing.

Like I said earlier, if this doesn't sound anything like your daughter, then she's probably just fine. Most babies are. I hope this information is helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by sls
    Thank you again, Kate. She has grown about 2.5 to 3 inches in 5 months, and her head circ went from 40cm to 44cm in the same amount of time. Any idea if that is ok? Also, sorta veering off topic here, but is it ok to call a LLLleader in my area any time of day? I feel sorta funny just up and calling them for some reason.

ETA: oh, and nope, not on the same scale...
    So, she IS growing...she just shot up a little more than out, recently!

And, since the scales have not been the same, the numbers could be off as well!

I would definitely call a local LLLL. If it is not a good time of day, she will tell you. But we love to get calls and help moms, it's what we do!

Keep up the good work!

Just my own 2 cents but I think you are doing fine. My cousin formula fed her daughter who just turned 1 and she is very small so I don't think your breastfeeding is causing harm to your baby. My son is in the 50th percentile I think. He's 7 months today and weighs 16 lbs. My cousin's daughter seems only slightly bigger than him and she's doing fine. I think you can relax. As long as your baby is healthy, I think you're fine. We obsess about weight too much anyway and you don't want to project that on your baby.

I am so sorry to hear you are having trouble. Your daughter sounds a lot like my son, who is on the "small side". I couldn't help but notice that you live in New Mexico.. We lived out west in Phoenix for a while and the ped I had there was NOT supportive of BF'ing at all, and I started to gather that the whole area in general is not supportive of it. He fed me the same "Well after 6 months breast milk loses its nutritional value" line like your ped did.... wonder if they are related LOL! My son was born 6lbs 8oz, went to 13lbs by the time he was 4 months old, but stopped growing for a while, and subsequently fell on the growth charts. His weight picked up eventually, and he has always been very energetic, happy, and healthy. He is now 9 months old, and started crawling and pulling up about a week ago. He sat up by himself at 8 months. He still doesn't feed himself, however he will drink from a sippy cup. You know, every baby is different and every baby deserves to be treated as an individual. I've put up with so much crap from doctors and even my mom for my son's small size. It's just so hard because nowadays babies are TOO big, and that has become the "norm". So when your 4 month old doesn't weight 20 lbs like other babies, everyone thinks you're starving your kid. I live in an area where breastfeeding is practically unheard of, but thankfully I have supportive doctors who are knowledgable about it, and access to a fantastic lactation consultant.
    You definitely need to switch doctors- and here is how you go about it. If you have an insurance plan, most likely you will need to pick from their list. Call every doctor on the list and interview them. They should NOT charge you for an interview!!! If you are less restricted, then open up the phonebook and find everyone who is close to you and interview them. Do not be afraid to tell them how you do things and why you choose to do them that way. You must continually reiterate that you are the mother, you will make the ultimate decision. I hope you can find someone that will be more reasonable!
    Good luck

Don't worry about not introducing solids until after 6 months. Your daughter may just take more time to be ready for solids. 2 Great books that were passed to my by BF mamas and I have found invaluable with respect to feeding:
    Child of Mine by Ellyn Satter and Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. They talk a lot about why you don't want to intro solids too early and both are very pro breastfeeding. Should give you some helpful ideas and philosophy with regard to feeding.

Hope that helps.

Thank you everyone for your very kind and informative replies. For a newbie, you have made me feel very welcome! I have an update. I bit the bullet and went to the ped. I stressed over this like you wouldn't believe, but in the end, it was fine. She hardly said anything which I thought was strange, but at the end said, "you can always make up weight, but not brain growth, and her head circ, and length was fine." I was expecting her to freak out! I did get the "put butter on her food" thing, but that was to be expected. I still don't comprehend that advice that is dolled out so often, when there is such concern with trying to get parents to feed their children more healthful food. Anyway, the absolute worst thing she said, and I am hoping a few of you can tell me if this has ANY truth to it (I really don't believe it) but she said that at nine months breast milk is like skim milk. It has really lost calories at this point, so really try to get her to eat more solids. She certainly is basing this on some study or something, right? But that just seems ignorant. My milk certainly doesn't look "skim" when I see it...ridiculous! Anyway, so I am just going to trust my Klaira, and let her take her time with solids. I just got to doubting myself there for a while. I did call a LLL leader, and she was very nice. I think I will try her group this month, as I am sure the next worry I will have is people who start asking, "are you still nursing her?" and I will love having the support from others. I really want to nurse her at least two years, and haven't been able to do that with my other 2 girls. Someone was sharing with me last night that they bf their daughter for 22 months, and this other lady said to her, "Oh, wow! I didn't know you could bf for that long!" Sheesh. People really are uneducated when it comes to bf. And I am realizing that a lot of that is due to what the ped tells them or doesn't tell them, kwim? Sorry for the ramble...Thanks for all your help!!!!

Hi sls,
    Not only is your doctor way off in her statement, but she also doesn't keep herself uptodate on latest research or even news.

Check this link on msnbc on latest research on breastmilk titled 'Breast milk richer in fat, energy after one year; Women who nurse for longer period of time have higher calorie milk':

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9342112/

"A new study shows that milk from mothers who have been breastfeeding their infants for more than a year is richer in fat and energy than milk from moms who have been breastfeeding for just a few months."

Follow your instincts! Good Luck!

Thank you! Printing this out as I type! I knew someone would have some good info. I wonder if it would ruin my ped/patient relationship if I mailed her a copy!

I just wanted to second the info about BM and nutrient/fat content. It certainly does NOT lose them--just the opposite! I would definitely take the article to the ped. I can't believe that there are still medical professionals (especially pediatricians) that are so uneducated on such an important topic. Lots of things that I would differ in opinion about with the ped I would just let slide so as to avoid a confrontation and maintain a good relationship, but this is just so glaringly wrong I would want to address it.

You should be proud of the fact you are still bf,and the most important fact your baby is happy!! A bit of advice i have heard in the past.. listen to every bit of advice given to u , smile, agree and say thank you then go home and do what eva you think is best for your baby. Good luck in my opinion you are doing great and you wouldnt be a good mum if you didnt worry it goes with the job.