Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Changing Peds?

Default Changing Peds?

Well, I am not officially here yet. DD is 10.5 months. However, I have been starting to doubt some of my ped's advice when it comes to bf. So, I am thinking of changing to a more BF knowledgable ped. But, then again, sometimes I think that DD is almost 12 months already. Although I do not have plans to stop anytime soon, I am not for sure how long I will nurse so I do not know if it is worth changing peds simply because of the bf issue. So, for you nursing beyond one, does it help to have a bf friendly ped at this stage? Do you typically have a lot of bf issues still? Also, any questions you can think of that I should be asking the new ped when I have the get acquanted visit?

Thanks!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Default Re: Changing Peds?

I, personally, would have a hard time trusting a pedi who said BOO to me about my nursing... because it would mean many things, one of them being he doesnt trust me as the mother! kwim? So if you feel s/he is overall good, other than that point, I say go for it. Not like your baby is going to care

But if they aren't supportive now, it may get more difficult once shes part 1 yr old... they tend to believe BM turns to water at the 1 year mark

Anyhoo- My pedi is supportive of whatever we decide.. she really acts, as I think they all should, as a conduit to in depth medical care and prescritpions... Though her laxed attitude turned me off in the beginning, it forced me to become DS' best advocate for heath care...

I digress... You said one word that is key - he gave you advice. You can nod and smil e and walk out of there and not do what he advises. .. SHoot I could ramble on - but I won't
    hope something I said helps
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I agree...when it comes to 'advice' take it for what it is worth and don't look back. I have had so many times where I am torn between what the doctor said and what I thought, before I realized, (obviously) this is my child and/or my body and I think and feel this way and therefore I am going to do what I know is best. I def feel it is good to learn and get as much info as you can before making a decision, and doctors know a lot, but use them as part of your decision process, not the final say all.

Maybe advice is not the word I should have used. I have questions and the information they give me is not correct based on BF info I have researched other places. However, they do know more about my particular baby's health. I think I want a ped who can give me correct info. For example, my DD had the flu last week. This was a little scary for us so we called the ped. I was told to discontinue bf for 24 hours. I am stressed with a sick baby and did not really want to research the issue, but this info did not seem correct so I got on the internet and did some research (had to convince DH that this info was wrong too!). I want to be able to rely on the info given by my ped office, especially when DD is ill. However, I am not for sure how much bf information I will need in the future which is why I am curious of other mothers' experiences.

Thanks for the replies, though!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

We just hit the one year mark and have to change dr.s. My lo lost a pound since his last check up. The Dr. did not ask about his eating habits or how active he was. He said I needed to wean immediately or they would have to start testing lo to see what was wrong. After telling me to wean he said to make sure lo gets the flu shot. Umm, no way! Apparently he does not know the benefits of extended b/f. I just smiled and nodded. When I got home I started my search for a new dr. Hope that helps.

Normally I'd say stick with the ped if you like them otherwise and shrug off the bad breastfeeding advice. But the part about stopping nursing during the flu is worrisome, kind of a red flag. It's one thing to say that BM is "no good" after one year (as many do, and you can just shrug it off), another to tell the mother of an under one baby to stop doing one of the best things to treat her sick child. I might look elsewhere in that case, although I agree it might be hard to find a ped who is knowledgeable about the benefits of extended breastfeeding.
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

Well, I found a ped that is on the board of our local hospital's breastfeeding committee. So, hopefully she is more informed. I set up a get acquanted visit with her so we can feel her out. Any suggestions on questions to ask?

Thanks to all who replied.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Okay - here's the only question I would ask... "Under what circumstances would you suggest a mom stop nursing." I'd decide from there... if she says something along the lines of ''well there arent that many things I could think of that would necessitate (sp?) such a thing" then you kow you've got a keeper! :tumbsup
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Okay - here's the only question I would ask... "Under what circumstances would you suggest a mom stop nursing." I'd decide from there... if she says something along the lines of ''well there arent that many things I could think of that would necessitate (sp?) such a thing" then you kow you've got a keeper! :tumbsup
    Thanks! That sounds good. Are there any issues that you run into with older kids (maybe not even bf related) that I should be thinking about and asking about? BF is a big issue for me know, but I do not know if I will be BF in a couple of years and will have other issues that I have not thought of yet IYKWIM.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)