Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Several Issues

Default Several Issues

Ok so I've got several "Issues"

1. My nb isn't eating the 8 to 12 times daily. She sleeps thru most the day and is only awake for a very short time during the day and night. I'm afraid to try and force her. But she needs to eat cause she's a little jaundiced. What can I do?

2. I fed her yesterday around 1:30 and again last night around 6 (she does this often, goes up to 4 or 5 hours without eating) and then fed her again around 8:30 and just after i burped her she vomited up all the milk she had drank. All over my girlfriend who was visiting. Did she get to much milk? Is that why she threw up? How can I tell how much she ate?

3. She's not eating enough so I'm pumping 2 to 3 times a day so my milk supply stays up even though right now she's not eating a lot. Is this ok? How long can BM last in freezer? How long can bm last in fridge before I should freeze it. Sometimes my breasts are so tender I can't feed her so I have to use a bottle. Only happened a couple times since we got home from hospital.

Please help anyone.

Default Re: Several Issues

Here are a couple of links to info on bfing a baby with jaundice. The first one contains several other links you might also want to check out including how to tell if your baby is getting enough (a concern since she isn't nursing the 8 to 12 times a day) and how to do breast compressions (which help keep a sleepy baby interested in nursing).

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/07jaundice.html

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...-jaundice.html

Have you had her weight checked since coming home from the hospital?

Here's info on milk storage. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

Jaundice makes babies very lethargic and sleepy so they don't eat enough which makes the jaundice worse (i learned that one the hard way!) Definetly wake her up every 3 hrs during the day and 4 at night to feed her so you can flush the biliruben out of her system!

[QUOTE=mcginnis822;301639]Ok so I've got several "Issues"

1. My nb isn't eating the 8 to 12 times daily. She sleeps thru most the day and is only awake for a very short time during the day and night. I'm afraid to try and force her. But she needs to eat cause she's a little jaundiced. What can I do?

How many wet/poopy diapers is she having in 24hrs? She's getting enough if she's having at least 6 wets/3 poops a day. Are her lips chapped? Any other signs of dehydration? If she is having enough dirty diapers then I wouldn't worry about it. DS was jaundiced too and he wouldn't eat on the hospital schedule either, but it went away after a while.

2. I fed her yesterday around 1:30 and again last night around 6 (she does this often, goes up to 4 or 5 hours without eating) and then fed her again around 8:30 and just after i burped her she vomited up all the milk she had drank. All over my girlfriend who was visiting. Did she get to much milk? Is that why she threw up? How can I tell how much she ate?

It always looks like a lot when they spit up. I used to worry about this since DS was a champion spitter upper. Go get 2tbs of water and spill it on your counter, it looks like a lot of water. She probably didn't lose as much liquid as it looks like she did. She probably threw up just because eating is still new to her or she could have over eaten but you'll never know

3. She's not eating enough so I'm pumping 2 to 3 times a day so my milk supply stays up even though right now she's not eating a lot. Is this ok? How long can BM last in freezer? How long can bm last in fridge before I should freeze it. Sometimes my breasts are so tender I can't feed her so I have to use a bottle. Only happened a couple times since we got home from hospital.

It's great that you're pumping to keep up your supply. If it is a freezer with it's own door, the BM is good for 6 months. Make sure you put the date you pumped it on whatever you're storing the milk in. The tenderness will go away after a little while. As long as you don't see her getting bottles effecting her latch then I'm all for it. Just don't use them too often since bottles are easier to eat from and she might get lazy since she das to work more at the breast. This can lead to problems down the line.
    hereis a link about storage guidlines
    Quote]
    Hope that helps

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Thank u all of u. I checked out the websites and they helped. My LO is eating better now cause she is latching on better. I pumped and figured out that i'm producing between 4 to 6 oz each breast. So if she eats and my breast(s) feel really soft then I know that she ate about 4 to 6 oz. She's not eating the 8 to 12 times a day but she is upto 6 or 7 now. Also she has both wet and poopy diapers every 2 to 3 hours. So I hope that means she's getting in alot because she is putting a lot out. If anyone else has any advise I'll take it. Thank u to all of u who responded. I needed help and I got it. Thanks again.

Pumping isn't necessarily a good measure of how much your breasts produce. As long as she's putting out enough wet and dirty diapers, there's no need to worry about how many oz of breastmilk she's getting.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

How are you managing her jaundice? How are her numbers looking?

With a jaundiced baby who isn't waking up to eat on her own, you must wake her to eat and get her to the breast 8-12 times per 24 hours. If she gets to the point where it's very difficult to wake her, seek medical attention.

How old is she? What is her weight history?

Hugs Mama
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!