Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding on one side

Default Feeding on one side

My son only breastfeeds on one side per dining experience. Will this decrease my milk production or will it stop all together? He is gaining weight and does not seem to be hungry between feedings, so I think he is getting enough, I just havent heard of many babies only feeding on one side. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Feeding on one side

lots of babies only feed on one side per feeding, perfectly normal!

Your body will adjust to it, it won't hurt your supply or any of that.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

My DS only feeds from one side per feeding. It hasnt affected my supply. You should be ok

Yep mine did too. I just made sure at the next feeding it was the other one. Just now at 6 months she wants both.

Did/do you pump the other side that the baby didnt feed on?

I dont. Like PP, I just make sure that I give him the other side during the next feeding. Some women put a safety pin on the bra to remember which side to feed next.

This taken from http://www.familyresource.com/pregna...e-baby-feeding

"You can use both your breasts when breastfeeding:
    You can and should use both breasts when nursing. Your baby will empty one breast, then need to go to the next, but don't worry if your baby falls asleep and seems full. You can start the next feeding with the breast that the baby did not drink from. Some women use a safety pin on their bra strap to keep a track of where the baby needs to start and you can even buy little decorated 'reminders' to place on the strap of your nursing bra or tank top. If you do not feed from each breast, the unused breast may not make as much milk as the other or become engorged. Engorgement can be uncomfortable and is relieved by nursing."

You can pump if you want, and have a nice stash in the freezer

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I've always fed my LO one side per feeding and she is now 7 months old and we have no supply issues. In fact, sometimes she still doesn't "empty" the one breast she feeds on and has to feed on it twice in a row. (We had an oversupply and still have plenty of milk, but much less than the beginning).

I've been feeding my 4 month old one side at a time for over a month now. We had over supply problems and I was drowning my LO but things have evened out. She's gaining well and I find that nursing one side at a time is more relaxing for both of us (less moving around, burping, etc.).

My DD was feeding on one side each feeding from about 4 months until about 10 months. Now she is back to both sides each feed but less feedings per day (shes 13 months)

I wouldn't worry about your supply. I did not pump, you can if you want to start a stash in the freezer. Like people said I just made sure that I switched sides each feed. If I forgot My DD would "tell me" She would get really fussy until I switched.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

My DD nurses just on one side too, except for every once in a while when she feels the need to "tank up."
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food