Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: water, sippy cups, gagging, choking, and being thirsty

Default water, sippy cups, gagging, choking, and being thirsty

There, how's THAT for a subject line?

Today I sat DD in her brand new high chair and gave her some random steamed veggies and a little chicken to play with. I intended to cut the veggies into little pieces, but they were very mushy so I mushed them with a fork and let her play with the food that way.

She got food to her mouth and ate it. (Oh and a side note... you know how when you eat something bitter, you kind of do a little "shudder?" DD was doing that over and over, but then kept grabbing more food anyway. ) And she gagged several times. I need to go find those threads on choking vs gagging and read them.

After about 10 minutes or so, I randomly thought that she might be thirsty, and I held a sippy cup up to her mouth (this is also a brand new thing to her). She chewed open-mouthed on it for a bit, then closed her mouth around it. I didn't know if she got any water, so I unscrewed the lid and was going to give her some water straight from the cup. I'd done this before, for teeny sips, without any problem... but this time I think I was a little overzealous w/ the cup and got WAY too much in her mouth and she started having a choking cough. At the end of her choking session, all the food she'd eaten came back up. But the good news is that wow, she managed to eat a LOT more than I thought she did.

But anyway, now for my question. When will she need water? How can I tell if she's thirsty? I had just BFed her half an hour or so before the solids. Eventually she'll need to drink from a container that's not attached to me, how can I help her learn how to do that? (I don't want to introduce a bottle this late in the game. :P)

Thanks for being patient with me and all my questions.
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food

Default Re: water, sippy cups, gagging, choking, and being thirsty

It takes a while for them to get the hang of sippy cups. I started keeping one around my LO at around 7 months or so and she just chewed on them for probably almost 2 months. Every once in a while she'd get some water and look really intrigued, and eventually she caught on. I keep one out all the time and my LO will now grab it herself if she wants a drink. If you are still BF quite a bit, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your LO should be getting all the liquids needed from you.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln