Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing milk supply in older baby

Question Increasing milk supply in older baby

I had to be separated from my 16 month old son recently as I had to be out of town. This was for 4 days. He has been breastfed since birth. I did pump when I was away but the pump only took out a very small quantity. Now I am afraid my milk supply has gone down, he seems frustrated when breastfeeding, sucks hard, and bites.

I heard that it is hard to increase the milk for an older baby..is this true? I want to continue breastfeeding and I am worried that this might have dried up my supply. When i express by hand, some milk does come out still, but it isn't the same quantitiy I had before. Also, the baby is less interested in nursing because I think it is frustrating due to the low quantity. Anyone have experience/advice for increasing milk supply in older babies/toddlers?

Default Re: Increasing milk supply in older baby

Because you had an established supply before you left you should be able to increase you milk again. I recommend having some patience with your body and being gentle with yourself. If you recall your past experience with growth spurts and other times when your baby nursed constantly in order to boost your milk supply, you will no doubt remember that the cluster feeding lasted for around one week. With a one week goal, and plenty of dedicated, persistent, removing milk from your breast (either nurse, dream nurse or pump) you ought to be close to normal shape again.

Just so you know, in most women it takes a substantial amount of time of absolute absence of nursing to truly dry all the way up. Women can restart lactation after long periods of no lactation, successfully. There is an entire forum dedicated to it ( not that you need that sort of help) i have great doubts that an absence of 4 days will do any lasting harm to your supply. If you can hand express anything you are already a giant step away from being a dry corn husk. Take it easy, and start working on draining what ever milk you have. I recommend every two hours or as often as possible ( without pressuring your self for results or harming the tissue of your breast) hth
    Last edited by carpentergirl; September 26th, 2007 at 10:27 PM.

Great, thank you so much. Your reply gives me hope! Also, you mentioned 'dream nursing'...I have never heard of that.

DS went on a 10 day nursing strike at 17 months and drastically reduced the amount he was nursing. My milk supply went way down (I could go something like 15 hours on a side and not even get engorged toward the end of the strike) and within a few days of him nursing more, my supply came right back up. There is hope! Make sure you are drinking a lot of water as he bring his supply back up so you don't get dehydrated.

Perfect!! Thank you so much. I am not getting engorged right now, but I am hand expressing while at my part time job every two hours and am getting some milk. I find the pump just doesn't work for me the way it used to when he was younger..I also don't get let downs like i used to either. I looked up dream nursing, and I think it means nursing in bed? I will try to reintroduce that as well.