Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: White spots on Nipple

Cool White spots on Nipple

I need some advice.

I have little white spots on my nipple ( and one large one)that seem to have arrived with blocked ducts. The whole right side of my right breast is blocked. I went to a clinic today and the doctor lanced the largest white spot and squeezed out the white stuff. Great I thought until my daughter nursed. Excruciating.

Every time I nurse my daughter the white spots return. If I squeeze I get more of the "paste" out but no milk.

Can I do something else to get the milk out and clear up the cloggs. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

thanks

Default Re: White spots on Nipple

I have a similar problem but not as bad as yours..

I get the tiny little white spots on my nipples too, and they are always accompanied by a painful lump (which I'm taking to be a clogged duct). I can either squeeze the boob until the white thing 'pops' or sometimes I can just pull on it with my fingernails and it will pop too. But every time it pops, milk comes spraying out where the white thing was. It comes out with alot of force too, like a fountain The painful lump always goes away once this happens as well. I think i read somewhere that it might be milk blisters...I dunno. But you're not alone...

When you say 'squeeze', are you squeezing the nipple or breast? I find that if I squeeze the breast where the clog is, that helps it 'pop'. If I squeeze on the nipple, nothing happens.

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

You may have a milk blister/bleb. See this article:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

I had a few of those and it felt like I had a real tender spot the size of a dollar coin. I applied heat (wet wash cloth) and soaked my breast in an epsom salt solution and did a lot of nursing in the "dangling" position. In about a day or two, the tenderness went away.

Good Luck!

There has been some talk that reducing the saturated fats in your diet can help with eliminating chronic milk blisters.
    A milk blister is formed when a small tag of skin grows over the nipple duct. After your dr lances it open with a sterile needle, applying a hot ( not too hot) compress along with vigorous nursing by your baby ought to clear it up.

"There has been some talk that reducing the saturated fats in your diet can help with eliminating chronic milk blisters.
    A milk blister is formed when a small tag of skin grows over the nipple duct. After your dr lances it open with a sterile needle, applying a hot ( not too hot) compress along with vigorous nursing by your baby ought to clear it up."

Wow, that's interesting. What is it about sat. fats that would cause this? I thought that during childbearing years and while nursing mamas needed more sat. fats, and were protected from the harm of them during this time. I forget where I read that. But that is good to know!

ps: how do you properly quote someones thread without cutting and pasting ?

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

When I've had clogged ducts in the past, I have used olive oil. Put the oil on a cotton ball and rub it all over your nipple and aureole and/or keep the cotton ball tucked up against your nipple (between the nipple and absorbency pad). The oil doesn't need to be wiped off before feedings, and it is beneficial for baby as they'll get the fat from it. The oil helps loosen up the clogs on the outside so that they can work their way loose (sometimes with a little help from you). Also, it's a great, natural way to keep your nipples from getting cracked and sore. I got this tip from the lactation center in my home area, and it has always worked great for me.

A baby produces the most suction in the direction that her chin is pointing during nursing. To clear that congealed milk (that's what the white pasty stuff is), you can try nursing with your baby's chin pointing in the direction of the clog. Some women have success with all-fours nursing, in which you get on all fours and dangle the affected breast into the baby's mouth. That way your get a gravity assist to the baby's suction.

I've also heard good things about soy lecithin supplements. I'm not sure about dosage or anything like that, but maybe it's worth looking into if this is a recurring problem for you.

Sorry you're having pain and clogs! They both stink. Just hang in there- the skin that has been lanced should heal soon. Mine always took about 2-3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmc View Post
    I need some advice.

I have little white spots on my nipple ( and one large one)that seem to have arrived with blocked ducts. The whole right side of my right breast is blocked. I went to a clinic today and the doctor lanced the largest white spot and squeezed out the white stuff. Great I thought until my daughter nursed. Excruciating.
    Quote from Kellymom, "Thrush (yeast), can also cause milk blisters. Thrush occasionally appears as tiny white spots on the nipple, but can also appear as larger white spots that block one or more milk ducts. If you have more than one blister at the same time, suspect thrush as the cause. Yeast is often accompanied by a "burning" pain, and the pain tends to be worse after nursing or pumping (whereas a plugged duct generally feels better after the breast has been emptied)."

Thanks for all the advice.

I have managed to clear up the clog on the left with vigorous nursing and pumping and hot compresses. However, the clog on the right just won't go away. It's been a full week and I'm getting pretty frustrated. All white spots/blebs are gone now though. The clog is about the size of the palm of my hand and feels much better after pumping and nursing.

I'm wondering if the milk in that duct has gone "sludgy" after such a long time being stagnant. Could this be why my DD can't clear the clog while nursing.

Poor little thing... you should have seen her face when she broke one of the milk blisters. (sour little look on her face and she looked at me like "what the heck mom! LOL)