Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I feel like a human pacifier

Unhappy I feel like a human pacifier

Hi, my baby is 3 mos. old now and she doesn't take pacifier (well.. she's stop taking em when she's 2 mos. old). So... now when she's tired and wants a nap she always wants to suck before she goes to bed... since she doesn't want to suck pacifier.. so I'm the human pacifier.

Anyone have the same problem like I do? can you help me to make her take a nap without sucking me?

And then.. I'm returning to work this coming monday and she doesn't take a bottle either.. so what should I do???

Help.....

Default Re: I feel like a human pacifier

Have you tried putting her in a swing instead? That's my only other option besides nursing my lo to sleep.

And wow, Monday is really soon...I think you need to offer the bottle a couple times per day (or someone else if possible), and practice, practice, practice, hopefully she'll take to it. Good luck.

What type of bottles are you using? I use the playtex drop ins. They have a variety of nipples too. So it could be the nipple or the flow of the nipple.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by dee0704 View Post
    when she's tired and wants a nap she always wants to suck before she goes to bed... since she doesn't want to suck pacifier.. so I'm the human pacifier.

Anyone have the same problem like I do? can you help me to make her take a nap without sucking me?
    My son was like that initially but then I started to "dance" him to sleep. He also doesn't take the pacifier. Our pediatrician adviced me to wake him up (tickle, wipe with cold cloth) when he seemed zoned out during feeding time, and to take him out of the breast if he is sleeping so he doesn't use the breast as a pacifier. She said that the baby can get a good amount of milk within 15 mins of good sucking.

[QUOTE=dee0704;301235 And then.. I'm returning to work this coming monday and she doesn't take a bottle either.. so what should I do???

Help.....[/QUOTE]

My son had a problem with bottles too! Just practice, practice and practice. It would be better if it's not you who is feeding him from the bottle. Ask your husband to do it. It is really difficult at first but it does get better overtime. As our doctor said they will take it when they get hungry.

Goodluck!

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by babygurl View Post
    What type of bottles are you using? I use the playtex drop ins. They have a variety of nipples too. So it could be the nipple or the flow of the nipple.
    I tried the playtex drop in the slow flo one, and I tried breastflow by first year.. and I will try Avent next. We'll see..

As far as being a pacifier, I usually pull my nipple out once she looks like about falling asleep.. so I just rock her to sleep. But I still feel I want her to take pacifier so when she's fuss when we travel I can put a pacifier on her till we find a good place to stop and feed her. Rather than her screaming .

my dd also uses me as the human pacifier - I allow it as I work all day and enjoy this time with her. So, I have no advice there. Why I'm responding is the bottle issue. We had this problem with both our dd's when they started daycare. If you can, be prepared to stop by at lunchtime to feed your lo for the first week or so. It's possibly going to be rough - lo may not nap well and/or take the bottles. I was so upset and worried when dd started up. She worked it out, though. Usually the DCP's are experienced in this kind of thing and will work with your lo. I use Avent bottles with newborn nipples (for both dd's). I tried playtex drop ins, second nature, and cheapie gerber bottles. Honestly, I don't think it had anything to do with the bottle design - it was the thought of taking the bottle. Take heart - it will work out! Good luck!!

Amy

It's natural and normal for babies to take comfort at the breast.
    http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sl...rtnursing.html
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJanFeb02p14.html

About the bottle issue, I had the same problem with DD a couple of weeks ago and I tried with the avent soft spout for sippy cup. It sounds silly but at three month, DD tried it and was able to take 1-2 oz with it. Not a full meal but that was better than nothing! She was curious about it and liked the idea of having milk with it. Then, when she was willing to accept it, I came back with the avent nipple 2 and was able to take easily. She used to refuse it with a lot of screams so I was glad that she is now able to take the bottle with 2-3 oz at a time. Also, she still don't want to drink in my arms. She has to be in her car seat or best, in her crib. At first I tought it was unsafe to have her drink in her crib but then I realise that I was nursing her side lying during the night so I tried and that works!
    Good luck!
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

I also had to go to a sippy first... dd stopped taking bottles... after some apple juice in a sippy, she'll take any of the gazzillion bottles I bought!

I too felt like the human pacifier for the first 3 months, but things seemed to settle down soon after 3 months. I was feeding LO every 1-2 hours when she was awake. But now at 5 months she can go 2-3 hours during the day without showing the need to nurse, although I still feed on demand when we're together.

I went back to work at 3 months and could only get LO to take an ounce or less from the bottle, and usually under protest. But several things helped. I started work the first week doing half days, so baby only had to "endure" a snack from the bottle to keep her going. On my second week back at work, I went to her at lunch time to feed her, and she continued to "snack" from the bottle without being too hungry. I tried several bottles and lots of different positions, but my care giver really had to take the brunt of the bottle refusal for about 2 days and then things were ok. Baby now guzzles EBM from the bottle and actually seems to enjoy it, although she likes mom the best.

I had good luck with Avent's slow flow nipples.