Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breast implant issue/relactation..help please.

Default breast implant issue/relactation..help please.

Hi!
    I'm new to the board...

I had breast implants 1.5 years ago..I still have scar tissue under the nipple that hurts from my 12 day old baby's extremely hard sucking. I opted to bottle feed formula and began the process of letting my milk dry up. It didn't really dawn on me that I could pump breast milk and feed it to him via a bottle when my milk came in 3 or 4 days after his birth. I am now trying to relactate using a pump as it doesn't hurt nearly as much as him sucking. Can I be successful at relactation using exclusively a pump every couple of hours? I do try to nurse at least a couple times a day but the pain is too much sometimes and I can only handle about 5mn on each breast. I'd be happy with 4 to 6 ounces of breast milk a day if that's all I can get.

I also read about fenugreek. Does this work for most ladies?

Default Re: breast implant issue/relactation..help please.

Have you tried asking a local LLL Leader to come to your house and evaluate baby's latch? Is it possible that baby's latch is just bad/off and that's what is causing the pain? It sounds like it to me since you aren't having pain with a breast pump. You might also want to spend the money on an IBCLC -- she'd be less expensive than formula

I'd suggest trying to work on getting your baby to latch on properly. Since you are only 12 days post-partum, it would be pretty easy to get your milk supply up to where it needs to be.

That said, it's probably possible to increase your supply just using the pump. I'd really suggest working closely with a LLL Leader too

Good luck! I think you'll do great!

UPDATE:

I picked up some Mother's Milk tea and Fenugreek. Additionally I pump every 2 to 3 hours. One week after my originally post and I can pump a bit over 1 ounce a day total, which is more than the teaspoon I was getting a week ago. After about 5 mn of pumping on each breast, I'm about empty. Baby has nursed/latched on successfully a few times, but mainly for comfort. He likes his bottle feedings. I guess an ounce or two a day is better than no breast milk.

I guess an ounce or two a day is better than no breast milk.
    You're right! Although one ounce might seem little, you have come a long way and overcome some problems.
    You're doing great, keep up your good job!

I could have written this post.
    My son is 7 weeks old, and I quit a little over 2 weeks after he was born also because of the scar tissue pain (I was only 10 months post surgery)
    I have however for the past week and a half tried to relactate.
    I had spoken with the LC at the hospital who said his latch was perfect and a LLL Leader in my area.

I hope you can keep it up!