Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 days old - Will it calm down eventually?!

Exclamation 6 days old - Will it calm down eventually?!

I had her I had her!!!!!!!!!!

Overdue but she's finallyyyyyyyyyy here

Anyway - Questions

- I have milk - tons of it. I haven't really felt the pain of engorgement .. (Thank God) probably because she's sucking like a mad woman.... but I'm leaking everywhere.... I've changed twice this morning ... looking around my home for the most absorbent material to keep dry ...

She cries - I leak ... The phone rings... I leak ... I apply a little pressure to my chest.. I'm leaking.

Any ideas?

I just pumped - 4 oz out of my left breast .... (in 10 mins) and I didn't out of my right as she just finished nursing for 45 mins!

Am I doing something wrong - I totally feel unorganized .. I'm feeding when she's asking and when she's done ... I'll stop. It's super chatoic though ...

Ok so I pumped - now what? What do I do w/ the milk? ...

How long do I let her nurse for - per breast? Should I be offering each breast per feeding or only one if she seems satisfied?

My little mama was 10 lbs 4 oz of sucking power as soon as she was out ... I put her to my breast, all of the nurses laughed at her intensity.. she hasn't let up yet...

Default Re: 6 days old - Will it calm down eventually?!

Congratulations!!! I was overdue to, and I remember thinking after my DD was born...what was I thinking trying to get her out? It was so much easier before she was born!

I leaked constantly for like 3 months then it was only somewhat less than constantly, and now it's only occasionally (dd is 1 year). I found the lansinoh brand breast pads to be the best. I was changing them constantly during the first 3 months. I went thru boxes and boxes of them...I should have bought stock in the company! I never found any washable ones that worked as well for me.

I'm impressed that you were able to get 4 oz pumping, it took me months to get to that point. You can buy special freezer bags (I also liked the Lansinoh brand...I SHOULD buy stock!) and keep it for something like 3 months in the freezer, longer if you have a deep freeze. Or keep it in the fridge and it'll be OK if you use it within a week or so.

I did the 15 minutes per side routine because I couldn't tell for a while when she was finished nursing and just comfort sucking. Once I could tell that, it was easier to just make the switch when she was really ready. Some babies are happy with just one side, but mine never was...she still almost always takes both at a feeding.

Anyway congratulations again! Hope you get everything under control...like I said mine is a year old and I STILL don't feel organized! It does get easier after you get a little more used to everything. Hang in there!

Congratulations!

Having a newborn baby can be overwhelming even for a veteran mom -- but it sounds like you're doing well.

Yes, things will calm down. Eventually, lol. For now, just go with the flow. Nurse your baby when she needs it, even if it means she's latched on 24/7. Try not to pump unless you absolutely need to because you tell your body to make more milk when you pump. As for the milk you pumped a little while ago -- just freeze it. It'll be good in your freezer for about 4-6 months (put it in the back).

Watch the baby, not the clock. Don't worry about how long she's nursing for. Right now she needs to be given unlimited access to the breast. Let her come off the first breast on her own and then always offer the 2nd breast but don't be concerned if she doesn't want it.

You're doing great! Congrats again!

Congratulations, and it sound as if you are doing great!

The chaos is normal. This is probably the biggest change you will experience in your life - well, it was for me, moving to a different country was nothing in comparison. So you'll need time to adapt. Be prepared for it getting worse before it gets better, but better it will get!

Congratulations!!! I remember your posts on the First Time Mothers board, and how impatient you got with being overdue. I'm so glad to hear your baby is safely arrived.

All the leaking -- perfectly normal. It will get better in time. Your breasts are totally in overdrive with all the postpartum hormones floating around.

I'd recommend that you wait at least a couple weeks before doing any more pumping. You don't want to create an oversupply problem by telling your body to make even more milk.

The chaos -- yes. Give it a few weeks, and as you and baby get into sync with each other in terms of milk supply and routines, things will settle into loose patterns, and you'll know what to expect when, for the most part. This is your babymoon -- time to learn all about your baby. It's okay that not a lot of it makes much sense right now.

Ten pounds four ounces of sucking power -- LOL! I'm just so, so pleased that you have such a little champion nursling. Sounds like the two of you are off to a magnificent beginning. Keep us posted!

--Rebecca

Hi there! It sounds like you are off to a great start- and let me just tell you how lucky you are! I too had an overabundance of milk for the first few weeks. At one point I could pump close to 10oz AFTER a feeding. Continuing to pump will prevent engorgement, and you can freeze your milk for the baby later. I used cotton breast pads, and often had to double or triple them inside my bra to prevent my shirt from getting soaked. I've also heard of moms using scraps of fabrics or unstarched handkerchiefs. I would stay away from disposable pads. They made me itch like crazy and didn't allow my skin to breathe. Congrats again!
    Karen

Smile Re: 6 days old - Will it calm down eventually?!

Congrats,

I wore breast pads constantly for the first 3.5 mos, and at night for a longer time. DS is 7.5 mos and I still leak occasionally. I preferred the cotton ones over disposable. I actually had made some for my first 10 yrs ago and still had them and for the length of time that you need to use them I'm sure it is much more cost effective as well.

Enjoy this time.

Thank you very much for all the well wishes....

I think I should probaby post this in another section but besides the chaos that is here .... Why am I not happy?

How can I have post partum blues? ...

I don't even know if it's that ... I just feel really really really insecure about everything right now... Insecure about my ability of being a mom ... and I'm SUPER insecure about my husbands love. (So weird) ... Side note: He has never given me a reason to doubt his love. He is absolutely amazing ..

I'm petrified of him leaving me .... leaving to go back to work and even leaving us in general...

I feel so ashamed of how actually missing my old life ... My husband left to do some shopping for the house and took all our comforters to the laundrymat ... and I'm here crying my eyes out on how I wish I could be with him ... Like we were weeks ago ... helping eachother, holding hands...

I'm so petrified of tonight .... I know I'll be up all night... She'll be up all night .. fussy and hungy. It's been 3 days in a row where she'll finally fall asleep at about 5am ... and give me 2 straight hours of sleep ...

I'll have to send my husband to another bedroom as he's going back to work... and I don't want to ruin his sleep ...

I guess I just envisioned all of this to be so so much easier... walking around w/ the baby .... me being energized to show her off ...

Man do I know where you're coming from! Obviously if you really start to feel bad, talk to your doctor or someone else if you think you might need to be screened for post-partum depression, but what you're describing sounds just like how I felt for a little while. I thought I was so prepared for everything and it would be a breeze. HA! I think it's just such a shock to your system being needed every second of every day and your whole world is turned upside down so you don't feel like anything is ever going to be the same again. Well, I don't think it'll be the same again, but as you get more used to it, you'll find it's way better than it used to be. It's been a year and I still have days (and sometimes weeks) where I can't believe I got myself into this and how much I envy my childless friends, but for the most part I wouldn't change anything. I liken the first month of being new parents to boot camp. If you make it through this, you can make it through anything! Hang in there, and let your husband know how you're feeling, even if you think it's stupid. He'll be able to reassure you and at least have some idea where your head is right now.

Oh, I will never forget my experience of "baby blues." It was very destabilizing and confusing -- because I wasn't exactly "blue" or sad -- I just had this INTENSE rollercoaster of bizarre and unpredictable emotions. And I hate that they are called "baby blues," because I certainly wasn't blue about the BABY for heaven's sake. I was head over heels with my brand new son. But I would just burst into tears for absolutely no rational reason. I remember happily picking up the phone to call my best friend for the first time after the birth (on maybe day 3 or 4), and by the time I finished dialing her number, I was in tears, and I left this completely insane message on her voicemail, just sobbing while I told her that I was fine and the baby was wonderful and that I was sorry I was crying and not to pay any attention to that.

I truly thought I was losing my mind -- and I'm sure the sleep deprivation was a big part of it, but I am also certain that most of it was simply biochemical. For me, it lasted six days -- and it ended so abruptly that I literally felt like someone had flipped a switch and turned it off. I was still exhausted, stressed, and vulnerable, but I was suddenly myself again in the midst of all that, and able to cope with things more calmly.

It took another few weeks for me to feel that I knew what I was doing as a mother. Things came together and we found our routines around week 5 or 6. Once I felt confident about nursing in public, and I could get out of the house on my own with the baby every day, I really felt like I had my life back. Which is not to say that everything was normal, but at least I felt like a real human being with a life again.

You'll get there, too. My goodness, you gave birth to a whole new person only 8 days ago! This is a very vulnerable and confusing time, but trust me -- a year from now you will look back on it as a precious, almost sacred, time of learning who your baby is and who you are as a mother. My "baby blues" happened more than four years ago and I still have these vivid memories of what that was like. Ask for what you need, keep loving and nursing that baby, let your husband and other people help take care of you -- you'll be fine before long.

If you get past the 2-week mark and are still falling apart, or if you begin to feel unusually anxious about the baby, or unusually detached from the baby -- worried about completely irrational things happening to her, or having little reaction when she cries -- then those are signs that something more serious may be going on, and you should call your doctor. Let your husband know what those signs would be, because he'd actually be able to see them more clearly than you would be if you develop PPD.

Let us know how you're doing over the next couple days. Hang in there, okay?

--Rebecca