Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: macaroni and cheese

Default macaroni and cheese

when is it ok? he had spaghetti already and did great...

Default Re: macaroni and cheese

I have a cookbook called First Meals, and in the 6-9 month section it mentions that at that age you can start to use cow's milk in cooking. Most babies are not tolerent of milk because of the protien in it. Some have a protien sensitivity, for example my 2 year old. When I was weaning him from BF, I would try to give him cow's milk, it would just sit on his stomach and then he would vomit, or get sick. This was because his stomach couldn't process the protien in milk so it couldn't be digested. I say all this because the doctors told us he could only have milk in small amounts, or through cheese, yogart, or ice cream because they are processed and heated different. I would say yes to Mac and Cheese for him, because it is small amounts of milk, you could also make him a special Mac and Cheese with formula or Breastmilk. They are allowed to have cheeses beginning at that age too, so I don't think anything is wrong with giving him some Mac and Cheese. Everything is a trial and error situation, but if this book is saying you can cook with it and give it to them, then I would say to you, to try it and see how he handles it. Sorry for the long response, but I hope it helps.
    (4 wonderful boys) (1 beautiful, tough princess) (10months and counting) (married 14 years to my Navy Sailor) (does it ever end? Not in our house)

Default Re: macaroni and cheese

My Ariel is just a wee bit older than your Gavin (Ari's birthdate is 12-06-06); we gave him mac & cheese this past weekend and he did just fine.

Smile Re: macaroni and cheese

Well, that was my older DS's dinner of choice tonight (along with chicken) so I decided to try a little bit. I gave him just a small amount, cut up a bit. He absolutely loved it, so we'll see how his tummy handles it. I have a feeling that he will be fine. I'll let you all know how he does. Thanks for the input!