Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaning 12 month old

Default Weaning 12 month old

I have a 12 month old baby and I'm still breastfeeding her. I have added two solid food meals throughout the day to her diet that consists of jarred babyfood. Here is what I need to know: I am ready to stop breastfeeding her but she is probably nowhere near eating only solid foods. At this point, should I introduce formula for a few more months and supplement with food or what? I am really ready to stop breastfeeding and I need to know the best thing to do at this point to make it happen soon. Please let me know what I need to do. Thank you!

Default Re: Weaning 12 month old

I'm not an expert on the weaning subject but I've some suggestions. The first is a book, it's called The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning, it will give you advise about weaning respecting the needs and feelings of baby and mom; I've not read that one but I've The Nursing Mother's Companion and I liked a lot. Second try to hold on until baby is more establish on solids, perhaps she might like table food better, if you insist in giving her other type of milk instead of BM I don't see the reason for formula after 12 months, you can try carnation evaporated milk which it will probably be easier on baby's tummy than regular milk (and cheaper than formula), but nothing will offer the immunology properties like BM. You can also try not offering the breast but not refusing to nurse her when baby really ask for, that way the transition will be easier on her and you'll still weaning her at both of you pace.
    Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I gave her evaporated milk and she likes it. She didn't like formula or cow's milk but she likes evaporated milk. I tried about 2 months ago to wean her onto formula but she didn't like it and she won. However, she woke up tonight after only 4 hours of sleep and woke me up having terrible gas and possibly diarreah. I'll give her some more time to get used to it and hopefully she just needs to get used to it.
    You can also try not offering the breast but not refusing to nurse her when baby really ask for, that way the transition will be easier on her and you'll still weaning her at both of you pace.
    I'm definately doing this too but she's always begging to eat! Thanks again for the info and I hope to wean her really soon.

I guess my baby had a reaction to the evaporated milk. She had diarreah all night from that. Does anyone else have any suggestions? It is too late to introduce formula to her? I already failed once to introduce formula to her about a month or two ago. When will she solely eat solids? She's barely broken the surface of eating babyfood.. but I'm ready to stop breastfeeding now. Any advice?

I'm sorry to hear your LO had a reaction. Other mothers use rice milk or soy milk, I've never drink either one so I don't know how they taste. There's some formulas companies that have formula for 12 months and up, I think carnation is one of them and Enfamil (but I'm not so sure about the last one).
    Just wondering, did you diluted the evaporated milk with water?

Hi at 12 months, many babies survive on cow's milk or formula. If she does not like them then I am not sure what to say? Have you called your ped? They may have some good advice for you. We use rice milk around our house but if does not have the fat that cow's milk has? Is she bf a lot still or just a little? My son still has a lot of his needs met at the breast. ( now 12.5 months ) Honestly If I was to wean him now, I would not know where to begin? BM is still very much his staple?

Sorry to hear your daughter got sick from the evaporated milk. I guess my big question is why are you so anxious to wean? Try some other milks like cow's milk or soy milk. But if she continues to have reactions I think it is in your best interest to continue breastfeeding, even if its only a handful of times a day. Your daughter's health and comfort is much more important than anything right now. Why make her miserable giving her foods that make her sick? Just a thought...

I mixed my ds milk with fomula. He now will drink it fine. I used goodstart and mixed it with cows milk.( sugestion from ped) I started slow. It took about 1 month or 1 1/2 to wean. But he also did not mind formula. He also was eating 3 meals a day and snacks. He still does not eat to much people food. Mainly just baby food. I do suggest to talk to your ped and find out what they say.

I didn't read this suggestion, but why don't you try mixing EBM with formula/cow's milk slowly--like one day have 1 oz. Cow's Milk with 4 oz. EBM, and up the cow's milk every couple of days. A friend of mine did this and weaned very easily at 13 mos. Good luck!

I did not breastfeed my frist daughter, I had to change to formula after 3 months but I did not want to give her cow's milk when I weaned her off of formula. What I used was soy milk...organic is better. She got all the nutrients she needed in it. For the fat that she needs you can use yogart that is no less then 3% and cheese. I was advised buy a dietary children's consultant. If your lo does not like it try almond milk. It is sweeter tasting.
    Hope this can help you