Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low supply after illness

Default Low supply after illness

My daughter is 6 weeks old. Yesterday I spent the day in the ER with severe food poisoning and dehydration. My doctor made me drink a contrast solution for a CT scan, which I did not know until after the fact would mean I could not nurse my baby for 24 hours. I asked before they injected the iodine and when I found out that I would not be able to nurse for 48 hours after that, I refused to take it.

My daughter had never had a bottle and was not at all happy about taking one during this time.

The 24 hours have now passed and I am nursing exclusively again, but I am worried and just looking for reassurance. They gave me some pretty serious pain meds which knocked me out cold. I tried to wake up and pump and dump but my breasts did not respond well to the pump and I don't think I did it frequently enough anyway.

My daughter is my third and final baby. I did not do so well with nursing her older brothers. I did not know what I was doing with the first and had no support and my second son was born prematurely. I desperately want to succeed at nursing my daughter exclusively but I am worried about what this illness has done to all the work we have put into it so far.

She is frustrated with the low supply and fighting latching a bit. When she is latched she is getting mad because the let down is slow, I think because I am so nervous and upset now. I worried non stop about my slow let down with my first two kids and I think that just made it even slower. We have not been having that problem until now.

I just need any advice or encouragement that anyone here can offer. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Default Re: Low supply after illness

I wouldn't worry too much. I don't think your supply would've dropped much at all if you didn't nurse only for 24 hours. Just keep yourself hydrated, rest and nurse, nurse, nurse. Try taking a "nursing vacation" -- for 24 hours, go to bed and take baby with you. Nurse her as often as she'll take it. Your supply should respond within 24-48 hours.

As for the let down -- that is a conditioned reflex, so try your best to just relax. I know it's difficult (my let down is slow as well). But hang in there, you'll get over this bump in the road

Thanks! 1 more question.

I am still having some stomach cramps and have little to no desire to eat. I have been trying to force down some food, but have not succeeded in eating much more than a banana in the last 72 hours. Is this going to be a problem? I will continue to try and make myself eat, I just don't know how successful I will be. Fluids have been fine, I have been drinking lots of water.

I wouldn't be too concerned over your food intake if you simply aren't interested in eating. Chances are, this won't last long and it really shouldn't have any effect on your milk as long as it's short-term. We know that unless mom is severely malnourished, her milk fares just fine.

Try your best to nibble here and there - you're a mom now and need some calories for energy

I hope you are feeling better this morning.