Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Don't want to use formula - any ideas?

Default Don't want to use formula - any ideas?

Okay, here goes.
    My LO is almost 8 months old and has been breastfed from day one without any supplements. Now she is eating a lot of solids and nurses four times a day: first thing in the morning, a bottle of pumped milk before afternoon nap, as soon as I get off work (around 5), and right before bed. She has purees, yogurt, and oatmeal in between nursings and is thriving.

I am looking to wean her off of the mid-day bottle feeding for several reasons that I won't go into (let's just say that pumping is getting really difficult AND AF returned today). I know that she still needs most of her nutrition from breastmilk or formula, but I really don't want to use formula after making it this far. I feel like it would be a shock to her system and I don't like all the chemicals in it. I heard a little bit about goat's milk, but I would like to hear from someone who has used it.

So my questions are this:
    1. What else could I use to supplement besides formula?
    2. Do I have to substitue that mid-day feeding? Would she be okay with three nursings a day?

Please don't post to tell me to stick it out and keep pumping for that mid-day bottle. I know that this would be the best choice, but my work situation makes it very difficult. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Default Re: Don't want to use formula - any ideas?

Does she nurse at night? At that age, at least 6 times nursing per day (assuming that she gets about 4 oz per feeding) is enough so if she nurses twice during the day and then 4 times at night that might be sufficient. I have never tried goat's milk but I would think it cannot be a good substitute to BM or formula during the first year. The thing about BM or formula is they contain lots of vitamins and minerals a baby needs and milk (cow's or goat's) does not have them (like iron or vitamin C for instance.) Even if your LO is eating solids, it is not possible for her to get all the vitamins she needs from them since her digestive system is not mature to handle all the necessary foods (like meat for example to get the iron). I'm sure someone will give a more informed advice.

What about getting some real milk from a milk bank? I think there are mothers on the forum who donate their milk when they have over-supply issues. That would be way better than formula...just brainstorming here.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

If the issue with pumping is work, could you pump at other times of the day and use it for the mid day feeding? For example, could you pump after your little one goes to bed or during nap on your days off?

As far as I know, formula is the only supplement for breast milk.

does baby nurse any at night?
    You could add an extra feed right before bed and then skip the afternoon pumping. Many mothers quit pumping during the day at the year old mark and just feed baby with they are together.

My baby NEVER nursed 6x a day a day after we started solids, and I TRIED to get him to...it just wasn't happening. We didn't supplement with formula, we just added in more high fat healthy solids. Yogurt and cheese usually worked well.

By 8.5 months he was down to 3x a day for sure. Sometimes I could entice him to nurse once more, but not always. He's healthy and happy, and we didn't have a problem with it. IF you aren't comfortable with just dropping that feeding, is there an organic formula that you'd be comfortable with?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I guess every baby is different! My 10 month old nurses once in the morning and a couple of times in the evening and has 2-3 bottles at daycare. She can't seem to get enough. I was told that at 10 months babies should still be getting around 24 ounces of bm. So, an 8 month old should at least be getting that much too. You never really know how much babies get out when they nurse, but if you assume 6 ounces which is a lot, this would still be at least 4 nursing sessions a day if not more. Could you fit in another nursing session when you are with lo to make up for the afternoon bottle? I would not supplement with anything other than formula before the one year mark.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)