Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10.5 month not into finger foods

Default 10.5 month not into finger foods

Is this something to worry about? He would rather be fed by me or DH. Also, I steamed little carrots for him and cut them up small, and he gags on them. It's like he doesn't like how they feel in his mouth. I've tried giving him little pieces of pancake too, and the same thing happens. I make his food, and I just started making it a little chunkier. He does okay with that.

We are really limited because of his food allergies, so our finger food options are very limited.
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

Default Re: 10.5 month not into finger foods

My boy, who is a day younger than yours by the way, has been the same way. So I just feed him and "casually" leave things on this tray while he's eating - cut green beans, cheese, very ripe pieces of pear, toast, peas - and he eventually just started exploring them by himself and now eats them. The majority of his food is still fed to him by me though.
    I think it's OK at this age still to be fed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just feel that every child does things at their own pace. If he's eating, then I'm not worried about it.
    Hope that helped.

Thanks! That makes me feel better. It's hard not to compare to other babies, I'm trying to work on that!
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

my son hated being spoonfed and would only eat small pieces of things for awhile. now he would rather me feed him with a spoon. but i think he's going back to preferring feeding himself
    i feel like he MOSTLY just nurses still. i wish he would eat more and nurse less. but i dont think that will be happening for awhile!
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

DD has a few food allergies and I have read that allergy babies often keep their gag reflex longer than their non-allergic peers. It might be his way of saying he isn't ready to eat tons of food yet. DD loves eating, grabs the spoon from my hand to do it herself but we have just started solids so tasting things is very exciting for her. I wouldn't worry and I wouldn't force it. He will figure it out when he is ready.

My 9mo old baby wouldnt even pick up food! He would pick up the smallest piece of fuzz or dirt he finds on the floor and puts into his mouth but he wouldnt pick up or hold food!!!

Pellegirl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I wouldn't worry about it. My DD was the same way and I thought from every other baby I knew she should be eating finger foods then. She eventually got used to it and will eat most anything now.

Amber....my oldest was the same. Though he was not an "allergy" baby, we still went through a very similar stage. Perhaps it was first baby syndrome???
    I have a feeling DD now, as you know our saga there, will be in the same boat. My oldest did outgrow it, and now I can barely feed that boy. 15 Y.O.'s eat soooo much!!! He began to be less "picky" per se around 18 months. I just went with my gut. I too had a hard time not comparing him to other babies. But now he is my super-genius. He even spends time researching IgA deficiancies in BM and what not with me

Ok enough babbling.....HTH And to you and Henry.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzi View Post
    Amber....my oldest was the same. Though he was not an "allergy" baby, we still went through a very similar stage. Perhaps it was first baby syndrome???
    I have a feeling DD now, as you know our saga there, will be in the same boat. My oldest did outgrow it, and now I can barely feed that boy. 15 Y.O.'s eat soooo much!!! He began to be less "picky" per se around 18 months. I just went with my gut. I too had a hard time not comparing him to other babies. But now he is my super-genius. He even spends time researching IgA deficiancies in BM and what not with me

Ok enough babbling.....HTH And to you and Henry.
    Thanks Chazzi!!!
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10