Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 year old doesn't eat much solids

Default 1 year old doesn't eat much solids

hi. my dd is almost 1 year old. she can totally self feed and i usually try to feed her by putting food on her tray. on occasion i'll make a cereal with veggies and spoon feed her. it has ALWAYS been hit or miss, usually miss...especially spoon feeding, she likes to be in control of the process. i make all her food, really wholesome finger foods. my question is: how is it that sometimes she seems like she can eat a whole lot and sometimes it is like she is allergic to the very idea of eating? the only foods i know she'll eat almost always are nature o's and bits of organic meat. i don't want to always feed her these things so what should i do? she still breastfeeds but i think it is time that she eats at least two meals a day, no? i have no real sense of her hunger because she never lets me know she wants to eat and she nurses upon waking up in the morning and before both naps and bedtime. it just doesn't seem like enough to me. any advice? thanks, sonia

Default Re: 1 year old doesn't eat much solids

Is she still thriving? Sometimes solids are really a hit or miss, for many years! My oldest is almost 4, and he will go days without eating much of anything, a few bites of this, a few bites of that. He is thin, but by no means malnurished. I did a lot of food experimentation between years 1 and 2...we had a lot of fun with it! I taught him how to dip (if he didn't like something we tried dip, ketchup, ranch dressing, BBQ sauce) and generally he liked it if he dipped it. I also made my own pizzas, from the crust up. He LOVED those. I would do a mexican pizza that he always ate, crust, beans, ground turkey, sweet peppers, tomatoes, and a little bit of cheese. He would dip it into avocado with a little sour cream. He liked mixtures, real food, not just some carrots and chicken.

HTH,

Sarah

p.s. it also may be that she is just really picky...my second son, 8.5 months, only wants to eat banana and avocado...he won't touch peas! You put them on his tray and he screams and hits them! It is quite funny to watch!

Default Re: 1 year old doesn't eat much solids

I think this is totally normal since it is really so common. So long as she's still breastfeeding, there's really nothing to worry about. A couple of things to keep in mind is that todler servings are 1 tablespoon per year of age, so if she ate 5 tablespoons of fruits and veggies in one day, that's exactly the amount of fruits and veggies she'd need, even if she were fully weaned. Also, I have read and aslo seen with my own son that it is normal to eat a lot one day and very little the next, or next to nothing for 3 days, then gobble down everything in sight for the next couple of days. So long as she's still growing and developing, try not to worry about it.