Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: are we on the right track??

Question are we on the right track??

My daughter is 5 days old, and seems to be doing great. we were off to a rough start in the hospital as far as nursing goes, as we had some positioning problems and i got EXTREMLY sore nipples that were bleeding and blistered. I was very very close to giving up until they gave me the nipple shield until my nipples were healed. They are feeling better now so i am not using the nipple shield anymore. DD has not had a problem weaning from this. Her latch has apparently always seemed right. She is a VERY sleepy nurser and i have to wake her up during the day for feedings, most times. The thing is, is sometimes she will go past 2-3 hours (not exceeding 4) and i cannot physically wake her up, i have tried EVERYTHING to wake her.Sometimes i will get her awake and she will only take 5 minutes on one breast and spit most of it up. Otherwise, she will nurse great when she wants to, usually every 3 hours. But it doesnt seem like she spends alot of time at the breast, usually 10 minutes on one side and 5 on the other. sometimes she will do 10 on both sides but never more than a 20 min feeding total. Is this ok? she seems satisfied and has a good output of wet/dirty diapers.. during the night i set my alarm clock for every 3 hours but she wakes up every 2 to eat anyway...by herself. But come morning/day time she will sleep LONG periods, and not always wake up. Im sure she would go 4 hours if i let her. i cant get her up before 3 hrs though, she just refuses to latch.

so, i guess thats alot of info, i will try and sum up my questions...

- Is it normal to only eat 10 minutes on one side, and 5 on the other at a feeding? Or even just 5 minutes on one side, and refusing the other?

- if she refuses to latch when the 3 hrs is up, should i worry, or follow her cues?

- are short feedings normal (no more than 20 minutes) and her going longer intervals during the day?

I think thats all, if you have anything else to add, please do!

Thanks so Much!

Default Re: are we on the right track??

In general, it sounds to me like you are doing wonderfully. As long as her diaper output is adequate (at least 5-6 good wet diapers and 2-3 decently dirty ones in every 24-hour period) and she is gaining weight, then you know she is getting enough milk in the short time that she is nursing. Some babies are just very efficient at getting what they need quickly.

If she nurses well on one breast and then refuses the other, don't worry too much, but do be sure that you begin the next feeding on that 2nd breast. It's important that both breasts get frequent stimulation to establish a good milk supply.

It sounds like she is waking more frequently at night than during the day. As long as she is nursing successfully at least 8-12 times in every 24-hour period, then it's fine for some of her feedings to be more like 3~4 hours apart instead of 2 hours. But I'm sure you would appreciate it if she would do her long stretches of sleep at night instead of in the daytime! She should get her days and nights straightened out in a few weeks, but in the meantime you can help her along by continuing to try to wake her for feedings at least every 2.5~3 hours during the day, and by keeping the nighttime wakings calm, dim, and as boring as possible (no happy talk etc. -- just take care of business and back to sleep.)

I'll include a link for tips to wake a sleepy newborn (not a LLL resource). I know it's hard work right now, but as soon as breastfeeding is well-established and she has regained her birth weight, you can relax about the clock and the diaper output and just follow her cues.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

--Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by valleygurl

so, i guess thats alot of info, i will try and sum up my questions...

- Is it normal to only eat 10 minutes on one side, and 5 on the other at a feeding? Or even just 5 minutes on one side, and refusing the other?

- if she refuses to latch when the 3 hrs is up, should i worry, or follow her cues?

- are short feedings normal (no more than 20 minutes) and her going longer intervals during the day?

I think thats all, if you have anything else to add, please do!

Thanks so Much!

Are you burping between breasts? My DD is a burper. Makes room for more milk. She was also a very very sleepy baby. I changed her diaper between breasts when she was younger ( first also if she was not immediatly interested in latching on)The only two ways I could get her to feed from the second breast was to change her diaper and/or put her back in her crib before she was ready (she would cry and then eat more). Nothing else worked for me, even the slightly aversive techniques like cold water, feet flicking, etc)

Now, with my milk supply established and her weight gain no longer a medical concern, I just offer her the second one and if she takes it, we nurse if she doesn't, I offer it next feeding first.

Things sound like they are going great for you. GOOD LUCK.

Red face Re: are we on the right track??

I think every baby is different. Does baby seem content to you? Is the ped worried about weight gain?

my dd nurses on one side only each feeding - and we switch every time. She nurses like 10-15 minutes total - i call her the power nurser...lol

Babies will eat when they are hungry - i wouldn't worry about a schedule. Maybe keep a log about when she eats and how long for a day or two and call your LLL leader or lactation consultant from the hospital if you are worried.

Red face Re: are we on the right track??

I think every baby is different. Does baby seem content to you? Is the ped worried about weight gain?

my dd nurses on one side only each feeding - and we switch every time. She nurses like 10-15 minutes total - i call her the power nurser...lol

Babies will eat when they are hungry - i wouldn't worry about a schedule. Maybe keep a log about when she eats and how long for a day or two and call your LLL leader or lactation consultant from the hospital if you are worried.

A midwife told me that if baby is a good weight (like my boy who was 4750 g at birth) then you don't need to wake him during the night after the first week or so.

If your baby seems contented and has a good nappy output, then my guess is that she is an efficient nurser and doesn't need to spend much time at the breast. In a few weeks time you will have a better idea of how she is gaining weight, and then it is still time to make adjustments should she not gain enough. Chances are, by then she'll be more awake, too!