Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: why is it bad though?

Default why is it bad though?

to give foods to a 4 month old? just a hypothetical. i know they don't need it and bm is enough til 6 months or whenever. but what are the reasons that it is bad for them? i always thought it was that the digestive system isn't developed nough yet but hten i heard it's got something to do with the gag and swallow reflexes? is any of that true? and what about when they really watch you eat and are grabbing for things. sometimes i feel bad.

Default Re: why is it bad though?

Lots of reasons. (1) increased risk of food allergies. (2) no solid that you offer will have what baby needs, baby will fill up on solids and not be hungry for breastmilk....which could lead to poor nutrition and overall health, increased illness, etc. (3) check out this link for more info.

AND

Just b/c they're reaching does not mean they want/need food. Here's my little cheesy analogy I always use....just b/c they reach for the phone doesn't mean they're ready to talk. HTH.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

i knew those..just wondered if the ones i had heard about digestive system and gag reflex were true or just bunk. he is happy just to have a baby spoon or bite toy. but he sure does watch every bite you put in your mouth from your spoon to your mouth!

Did you check out that link? Lots more on there.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by jodikelley View Post
    i knew those..just wondered if the ones i had heard about digestive system and gag reflex were true or just bunk. he is happy just to have a baby spoon or bite toy. but he sure does watch every bite you put in your mouth from your spoon to your mouth!
    My DD does the same thing. I can hardly wait to let her try!!!

Thanks for the link Christy . . . my DH was adamant about starting Gabe on solids at 4 months ( he's 3.5 mos now and totally not ready IMO). Anyways after telling him all the organizations that support waiting at least 6 months, he finally (!!!) conceded!!! Thanks!

to give foods to a 4 month old? just a hypothetical. i know they don't need it and bm is enough til 6 months or whenever. but what are the reasons that it is bad for them? i always thought it was that the digestive system isn't developed nough yet but hten i heard it's got something to do with the gag and swallow reflexes? is any of that true?
    Yes, it's true.

If a baby is not ready for solids, he will exhibit the tongue thrust reflex (where he instictively pushes food out of his mouth with the tongue).

The digestive system is developed, BUT there are spaces between the cells in the small intestines until somewhere around four to six months of age. The spaces allow antibodies and other good stuff to pass through to baby. But, they also allow larger proteins to pass through and that could expose baby to allergies.

and what about when they really watch you eat and are grabbing for things. sometimes i feel bad.
    You can give them a spoon, bowl, and cup to play with.

That's natural!

In the end, it really does pay to wait until baby shows all signs of physical readiness.