Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will I ever be able to BF?

Default Re: Will I ever be able to BF?

I second the nipple shield! They are the reason me and dd are still breastfeeding! The 1st 2 days of her life she had a hard time with positioning, and had a VERY strong suck, and i ended up with blistered bleeding nipples and was crying while i was nursing. I got a nipple shield and within 3 days my nipples were healed and we are no longer using the shield. Get to a LC for latching and positioning, and buy a medela nipple shiled. You def. wont regret it. I almost gave up, and these were a god sent. It will still hurt a bit, but it will be 90% better!

Good Luck, and Im sorry you are having such a hard time. I was very dedictaed to making this work for us too, and i was in your shoes just a week ago, dont give up, it will be worth it when everything is healed.

xxx

Just stepping in with a quick message ladies. There's been a lot of great advice given to the OP here! However, I must state that LLL advises that nipple shields be used under the guidance of a lactation professional. If you feel that a nipple shield is something you need, please see someone locally to make sure of proper fit and use!

Hugs to all
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Wow, thank you all for your kind and supportive words! Yes, it has been confusing. But I think I can figure it out, especially with all this support and encouragement!

I didn't realize that LLL leaders would meet with you outside of meetings. There is a group in my area and I planned on attending the meeting, bt the next one isn't for two weeks. I'll give them a call and see if I can get some one-on-one help before then!

To the person who asked how old dd is, she's one month tomorrow.

To the person who suggested Lansinoh, my OB suggested I do this but my LC said not to. The LC said that it would seal the yeast in and make the yeast worse. Since yeast like dark, moist warm places, it made sense so I stopped using the Lansinoh. BUT after my first post here I did some more reading on the site, including the article about moist healing. I went back to the Lansinoh and in only two days I see dramatic improvement!

I also read somewhere on this site about bf not being an all-or-nothing thing. It helped to see that coming from such a strong advocate of bf. I'm going to stick with our efforts, but try not to feel so guilty in the meanwhile. At least she's getting my milk - a good place to start improving from

I forgot to mention that the pedi wanted dd not to be on the breast because I had an active yeast infection, but baby showed no signs of thrush and seemed to be feeding without discomfort. He didn't want me to give her thrush if she didn't already have it; he doesn't like to give newborns any medication they don't HAVE to have. That sounded good, so it was easier for dh to convince me to pump instead of bf.

But good news - last night dd was fuss like never before. She spit up her entire bottle feeding of my milk (no, not my precious milk!), and nothing would calm her down. DH was even getting frustrated, which he never does. I suggested I give her the breast and he looked at me like I was crazy! But I said we might as well try it, since nothing else worked. You probably won't be surprised to hear that she latched on perfectly right away and nursed for 15 minutes straight! And it didn't hurt at all! The second time she wouldn't open her mouth at all, but we got a good painless latch again when I opened her mouth. I'm really encouraged by you, and now by her, too.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your kindness. I will keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittan
    About all the squirming and crying, I would swaddle her, hands and all, and nurse her in a quiet environment with little or no distraction. You may also want to pick her up while she is still asleep and try to get her on before she gets to worked up? Please keep us updated!
    I hadn't thought of swaddling because I thought the skin-to-skin contact was so important. But I'll definitely give it a try. I guess getting bf established should be the first priority.

The idea of trying when she is sleepy makes sense, too. Our best bf was always in the middle of the night, and the most frustrating was afternoon, when she tends to be wide awake.

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by total wreck
    You probably won't be surprised to hear that she latched on perfectly right away and nursed for 15 minutes straight! And it didn't hurt at all! The second time she wouldn't open her mouth at all, but we got a good painless latch again when I opened her mouth. I'm really encouraged by you, and now by her, too.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your kindness. I will keep you updated.
    Thanks for the update! It's always so great to hear that we've helped someone. Isn't it encouraging to have a couple of REALLY good BF sessions--just makes you feel like you can take on the world!

Hang in there. You're doing a great job!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Yeah! I am so glad that things are going better for you. I know that it can really be tough with all these new things that you have to take on as a mommy. I would encourage you to keep using the Lansonioh, I really do not agree with the LC on that one? For me and many others, ( even still at 12.5 months I used it yesterday! ) it has been a life safer! Please keep giving us updates!