Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush...AGAIN!

Exclamation Thrush...AGAIN!

My daughter and I have had some big ups and downs over the past 2 months of breastfeeding. She has tight frenulums (both upper and lower) but not tight enough to justify snipping them. This caused serious and persistantly poor latching, which we constantly work to correct. She had severe reflux, which has been improving on medicine. We think I may have had forceful letdown, which I've improved by sticking to one breast per feeding. My LC also suspected that my LO had a sensitivity to the proteins in the dairy I was eating, so I'm off dairy. A couple of weeks ago we had thrush, which we treated with gentian violet. Aside from a growth spurt which caused a bit of soreness from the constant feedings, the past week or so have been FABULOUS with the nursing. I was really starting to think we were over a hump. Then I started to notice that my nipples were very pink. I've been getting shooting pains in my left breast and today I noticed tiny red bumps all over that same nipple. I communicated with a LC from this site via email and she thinks it may be the thrush returning or it could be some other type of skin infection. I'm treating is as if it were thrush for now, but I can't get an appointment with my doctor until next week and I am starting to have increasing pain in my left nipple especially. I did get my doctor to call in a prescription, but I am starting to get so discouraged. I really want to continue nursing for as long as possible. She is only 2 months old and I was hoping to be able to nurse her for AT LEAST 6 to 12 months. I'm so sad because we've already had so many challenges and I'm starting to wonder how many more times this is going to return. I feel like I did everything right to get rid of the thrush. I sterilized EVERYTHING so thoroughly and used the medicine (gentian violet) exactly as I was told to. We were fine for a week and now it's back. I hate feeling like everything my daughter or I touch is contaminated. I guess I'm just looking for someone who understands. My husband and family are SOOO supportive of my nursing, but they also feel like we've been through so much and basically have told me that it's okay to stop if this is too much for me. I know that it is "okay" - which is to say that my LO will grow just fine on artificial formula - but I REALLY want to keep nursing. I'm just afraid of getting overwhelmed. The sleep deprivation and all these challenges are starting to get to me. I'm also having problems with pumping. I have to work for a couple of hours 4 days a week and I miss one feeding on each of those days. Not only is pumping hurting and causing my nipples to get a bit bloody (which encourages the infection to thrive I believe) but I'm also not even getting much milk from each pumping. I don't want to have to give her formula, so I end up running home after my job and making a mad rush to feed her. But I can't always make it in time and I'm afraid that my husband will be out of expressed milk and have to resort to formula sometimes. I know that's not the end of the world, but I just wish I could pump more each day.
    As for the thrush, what if this infection keeps reoccurring? Could the pumping be causing it? Any tips on how to get rid of it? I washed EVERYTHING in boiling hot water and used the gentian violet as well as the cream my doctor gave me. Has anyone had thrush come back like this? I don't even know 100% that it is thrush. Does anyone know of anything else it could be? HELP!!!

Default Re: Thrush...AGAIN!

It gets better! And it is awesome that you have continued w/ all you have been through. I have had thrush for almost 7 weeks now. At least that is what they think it is. I took 10 days of Diflucan and it has come back. Now the dr thinks it is mastitis which I know it isn't b/c I had that w/dd1. So I am sure the antibiotic will worsen the thrush. It is a never ending battle so I know how you feel. The pumping does not have anything to do with the thrush although it does increase your milk so don't get engorged b/c that can lead to mastitis. It does get better and maybe you should stress to your dr the problem. Perhaps they could get you in sooner. Good luck! I know some of the women on here can offer you more advice!

I dealt with thrush for a long time. Its not fun. If I had have known what I know now, I think I would not have suffered so long. I will share with you what I found out.

I want to encourage you though, that after all I went through, I am still breastfeeding, and I really never thought it would happen that I would have no more issues. I went through thrush, mastitis once, and also repeated plugged ducts, but I am now nursing a toddler! There IS HOPE!

There are many treatments for thrush. Yes, sterilizing is often recommended. Let me tell you though, that with a newborn, I decided that after weeks of that, it was too much stress. Maybe it would help some people, but try not to stress. I gave up on it, and STILL got to be thrush-free!!!

Some of the treatments I have used are: some of the more non-invasive things like grapefruit seed extract orally and on the nipples, acidophilus, vinegar solution on nipples, etc. (vinegar works great temporarily with itching!) I would highly recommend acidophilus (a probiotic found in things like yogurt) if you haven't tried it, its what helped me a lot and other moms on this board with thrush. IF you use it, you need to get a refridgerated one (in the store and then again at home). Try to get one without "fillers". I gave it to my baby for a while too. I found it in the health food store (its better quality than say at the grocery store) It can't hurt anyways...

Thrush can also be similar to Raynaud's. Check it out on the link that I am going to give you in a minute. Although it does sound like thrush.

If you want more info on any of this, you can PM me if you want, I got through thrush with help and support from women on this board. It was not easy, but guess what, another two moms are also now thrush-free after having it for a while. I know as well that the one mom who went through it with me, she is also still nursing her toddler and no more thrush!!! So feel free to PM me if you have questions, or need support. Or if this message isn't clear...I have mommy brain. I am tired and it may not all make sense.

There is plenty of info online about these treatments (and other info different places on this board). The best place I found was Dr. Jack Newman's website. I also have other links, if you are interested, let me know. .

Since I am not very good at computers, I can't do that cool link thing...so here's what you do to get to that website...

- Go to www.drjacknewman.com
    -on the left hand side go to "breastfeeding help"
    -there is a list of handouts, go to "sore nipples handouts"
    -then "treatment for sore nipples and sore breasts"
    -there are all sorts of treatments there for thrush and Raynaud's.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you can't find the info. There is also lots of other info about these issues on Dr. Newman's site, as well as info that is helpful about breastfeeding in general.

PM me if you need more help!
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Oh and another thing...you may want to post on the pumping section of this forum about the pumping questions...I have never pumped but I am pretty sure it shouldn't cause pain. ALso they might be able to help you figure out how to properly sterlize a pump because of thrush. If that is what it is.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!