Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why wont he drink soy milk??

Default Why wont he drink soy milk??

At my son's 12 month check up, the ped told us that his weight has "plateaued" at 19.5 lbs. He's only in the 10th percentile for height & weight, so this was not good news. He still bf's 4-5 times, and eats 3 meals and a snack every day. He drinks diluted juice and water well from a cup, so the ped suggested giving him soy milk in his cup to boost his weight gain (he has a dairy allergy). I would like to begin weaning him soon, but right now I am just focused on getting him to drink the soy milk from his cup, especially because my milk supply seems to be dwindling.

Problem is, he absolutely refuses to drink it. He might take one sip if my husband offers it, but that's all. We've tried giving him a smaller meal/snack than usual or withholding other liquids to get him to drink the soy milk, but he just won't do it. We've tried regular, vanilla, different brands, different times of day -- nothing is working. He won't go near a bottle, regardless of what is in it, so that's not the answer either.

This has been going on for 2 weeks. Does anyone have any advice? I am getting really frustrated, which is probably making the situation worse, but I don't know what to do. Thank you!

Default Re: Why wont he drink soy milk??

My SIL had this problem with her youngest. He isn't allergic to dairy though, he just wouldn't drink cow's milk. So she tried soy, because her second child took that when he wouldn't take cow's milk. No luck! Finally she made him a strawberry smoothie, and he loved it. So the last I heard, she was going to get some Strawberry Quick and see if he would drink milk with that in it. So, maybe try some strawberry flavoring in the soy milk? Or maybe mix some soy milk in with his juice? Sounds nasty, but you never know! You could gradually build it up so that eventually there is more soy milk than juice, and then maybe he won't need the juice in it anymore.

Hi, Can you try Almond or Rice milk instead? I have heard soy milk is really bad for you. I put a few links below about soy the dangers in soy. It has something to do with how it is processed etc.. HTH

http://www.soyinfo.com/dangers.shtml

http://www.wholesoystory.com/
    Last edited by mommywith3; September 25th, 2007 at 11:56 AM.

From what I've read - soy milk is an ok source of calories but does NOT have the fat content needed for a toddler:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/milkcalories.html

If your doctor wants your DS drinking something other than water or juice - have you tried rice milk (I'd get the kind that is enriched with vitamins, etc)?

My DS is allergic to cow milk - he breastfeeds on demand, gets EBM at day care, and one of the foods that he LOVES is soy yogurt.

You may want to try soy yogurt - but read the labels because one of the brands includes cultures that were grown on milk!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

if your son is lactose intolerant you can offer him BOOST. thats what my son uses to gain weight. He is 3 and is 30 lbs.......he has a lot of medical problems, autism and epilepsy, so his dr suggested I supplemented his diet with BOOST or BOOST PLUS. It's found in natrual food aisle in adult nutrition usually near pharmacy! Vitamins section.

Pediasure might work too ask his dr.... & Try rice or almond milk.

Hi, I just found this article on soy milk and thought you may want to read it. Its about soy formula and soy milk. My friend use to drink soy milk and had alot of problems and since has stopped and is fine now.

WholeSoyStory.com May 11, 2007

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

Soy milk does not contain the nutrients that children need for their growth. In fact, the idea that soy milk is healthy, in and of itself, is a complete myth. Feeding your baby soy milk will lead to severe vitamin, mineral, fatty acid and amino acid deficiencies that can clearly be deadly.

Soy infant formula is not a healthy alternative; it is one of the worst foods you can give your child.

Soy formula poses some serious health hazards, including:

ADD/ADHD, brain damage, and altered behavior due to very high levels of manganese
    Thyroid disease and interference with proper reproductive development due to elevated isoflavone levels; a soy-fed baby receives the equivalent of five birth control pills' worth of estrogen every day, and they have isoflavone levels 13,000 to 22,000 times higher than normal
    Speech disturbances and reduced brain function, as it contains more than 1,000 percent more aluminum than conventional milk-based formulas
    Please, never, ever feed your baby (or any child under the age of 18) soy infant formula or soy milk. And remember, this includes all organic varieties as well.

What you should feed your babies is the food nature intended: breast milk. Studies have also shown that babies who are breastfed exclusively have better functioning immune systems, as well as added protection against:

Heart disease
    Immune system cancers such as lymphoma
    Asthma and allergies
    Respiratory infections
    Eczema
    Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
    If for some reason breast feeding is absolutely not an option, you should take a look at this recipe for a healthy infant formula.

Related Articles:

How Safe is Soy Infant Formula?

Why Soy Can Damage Your Health

Soy-Bean Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by mommywith3 View Post
    Speech disturbances and reduced brain function, as it contains more than 1,000 percent more aluminum than conventional milk-based formulas
    Please, never, ever feed your baby (or any child under the age of 18) soy infant formula or soy milk. And remember, this includes all organic varieties as well.

Soy-Bean Crisis
    OMG REALLY!? MY DAUGHTER WAS TOTALLY FORMULA FED, AND SOY FORMULA (ENFAMIL PROSOBEE) AND SHE HAS HORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE SPEECH!

Speaking as a mom with 3 girls who have outgrown dairy allergies - soy and rice milk lack the necessary fats and nurtrients that cow's milk provides. The only one that my girls liked was Dari Free from Vances (vances.com - I think) (also available thru allergygrocer.com ). You will need to add about 1 tbsp olive oil per 8 oz cup to make up the good fats he is missing.

Also, keep in mind that many children plateau around 18 mos (some sooner and some later). And someone needs to be at the 10th percentile. How big are you and the child's father? Are you also small?

Lastly - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not feed a child who allergies any kind of nut product (including almond milk) until you have tested (in the docs office) for a nut allergy, usually after the age of 2 or 3.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

Quote Originally Posted by Angi View Post
    Also, keep in mind that many children plateau around 18 mos (some sooner and some later). And someone needs to be at the 10th percentile. How big are you and the child's father? Are you also small?

My DS was 16 lbs 4 oz at his 12 mo checkup. I think he might be 3% or so on the charts. All that means is that out of 100 kids his age, 97 are larger than he is. What our pediatrician looks for at each visit is that DS continues to grow, and is NOT at all worried about what the growth charts say. Also - it's very common for LO growth to slow down a bit as they get more mobile.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Now I'm worried, I've been drinking it while breastfeeding! Is this bad? I have been having a glass a day.