Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New Mommy Concerns

Question New Mommy Concerns

I am so excited to see the amount of knowledge and experience being exchanged on this website! I am a first time mommy and I do not have family nearby for support. I have several questions...

First, I am exclusively breastfeeding my little one (who is two weeks old today). She seems to have a lot of output (lots of poops and adequate wet diapers). My concern is that I have an unusual diet - I do not eat very much fat at all (often 12 grams or less each day). Will my breastmilk have adequate fat content for her to thrive, or should I supplement some formula feedinges as well?

Secondly, she seems to cough a lot lately during feedings. She doesn't spit anything up, she just coughs a couple of times and then goes back to nursing... is this normal, or could she have a problem?

Next, sometimes after she feeds for quite a while (usually 30 minutes or more), she still seems hungry, and gets frustrated, continues making hunger cues, refuses the nipple, and cries. Could she need more milk than I am producing?

Lastly (for now), how do you stop worrying that your little one is going to spontaneously stop breathing? I can't sleep at night because I sit and stare at her to make sure she is breathing...

Thank you to anyone who can offer support or advice!!!

Default Re: New Mommy Concerns

Quote Originally Posted by katsmom91007 View Post
    Next, sometimes after she feeds for quite a while (usually 30 minutes or more), she still seems hungry, and gets frustrated, continues making hunger cues, refuses the nipple, and cries. Could she need more milk than I am producing?
    I can't really help with the other questions you have, but here are some thoughts about this one.

Remember, the signs that your baby is getting enough milk are:
    (1) Nursing 8-12 times per 24 hours;
    (2) 6 to 8 wet and 3 to 4 messy diapers per 24 hours; and
    (3) Gaining weight appropriately.

A fussy, rooting baby doesn't necessarily mean the baby isn't getting enough milk. Babies like to nurse for other reasons, not just to get calories.

However, sometimes in the evenings moms might notice that babies want to nurse longer and more often than in the morning. This might be nature's way of getting your body to produce more milk to meet baby's future needs. Just go with it! You can feel confident about your milk supply when you say, "check-check-check" to the above three. Just let that baby nurse and much and as often as she wants!

When baby refuses the nipple but still seems like she wants to nurse, you might feel right about trying different strategies, like waiting ten minutes and offering the breast again.

Lastly (for now), how do you stop worrying that your little one is going to spontaneously stop breathing? I can't sleep at night because I sit and stare at her to make sure she is breathing...
    Lots of moms have this anxiety! I know I did, even worse with my second babies (twins) than with my first.

I know others might have good suggestions. Mine is to nurse her in bed with you. That way, you'll be able to doze and still know she's breathing!

Good luck. Sounds like you're doing awesome!
    Last edited by mpoulson; September 24th, 2007 at 02:42 PM.