Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is it diahrea? plz help

Default is it diahrea? plz help

hi mamas, i'm new here so hope u'll welcome me n help me. my daughter is 1 year 2 months old. i went aboard for 3+months, n just came, her stool pattern haven't been normal since then, or more like familiar, i don't even know what is normal n what isn't. but since we came back its like it was aboard, watery n freqeuent. it wasn't like that when we first left, she was 11 months old, it was more firm . yesterday she was a bit fussy, n today she is more fussy and even cried till she passed, though it was watery, yellow n not much. so, should i show her to a ped and give her med? thing is i don't trust the ped's here, that's why i want some idea before taking her. another thing...should i take it as diahrea n strict her diet?? plz help...

Default Re: is it diahrea? plz help

has there been a change in her diet? I would put her on the "brat diet" banana, rice cereal, apple sauce and toast. cut out dairy- milk, cheese, yogurt is okay. cut out juices and give pedialyte or water. The rule of thumb is 7-10 days of diarrhea is "okay." After that call the ped. Personally I would call the ped after a few days. Just to check in and get their opinion. Good luck and I hope that helps!

How is her intake of solids? From experience, a breastfed 12 mo eating little to no solids (DS was sick with a bad cold and would only nurse) will have bf baby poop like a 6 mo eating a similar amount of solids.

her diet is almost the same, rambem, just more variety from aboard. thing with 'brat' diet is, for how long? coz my lo gets tired of sweety food. can i give her non-veg?

and her solid intake is good, she eats watever i'm eating beside bm. but i've noticed a decrease in her appetite since yesterday. yeah, her stool is kinda not so loose or yellowish the last couple times she passed, but her voice is getting husky, could it she was complaining of her throat n cozed her fussyness? thanx all for replying though

brat diet until diarrhea is cleared up. I would also "mix it up." I'd put applesauce on toast, mix smashed banana with applesauce, banana on toast, stuff like that. you could use unsweetened applesauce also. good luck!!

A few of things come to my mind. First, she could have had an infection whilst abroad, and then developed a temporary secondary lactose intolerance.
    Second, she could still have an infection. Depending on what part of the world you've been visiting, there are some things she could have got (like giardia infection for instance) that can last a long time. Or third, it could be a complete coincidence that this happened whilst you were abroad and she may just have so-called "toddler diarrhoea" (Have a look here for more explanation http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23069041/ )
    Does she seem well or sick? Is she growing ok?
    If I were you, I think I might be inclined to take her to the doctor just to be on the safe side. Maybe they'll want to send off a stool sample to be analysed, especially with you having been abroad for a while.
    I hope she gets well soon.

i read that page on "toddler diarrhoea" and it seems as if that's what she's having, coz otherwise dd is healthy, active n normal. thanx for the link, i actually never heard of it before i'm not rulling out the infection, if dd worries me, i'll take her in n get the test, just to be on the safe side.
    thank you all