Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No let down???

Default No let down???

The weirdest thing happened the last 2 nights I was at work. I went to pump and only got about 1 oz. I pumped repeatedly throughout the night and got a total of 6 oz. in 12hours. I don't know if I just couldn't let down or what. This has never happened before. I tried to pump at home today and again, only got less than an ounce. I am frustrated and concerned and I know that is not helping either. I've been told to keep pumping every 2 hours while at home and to increase the amount of water I drink. I am concerned that this is going to decrease my milk supply to nothing. DD is almost 8 months old and doing fine, but I just don't know what would have caused this all of a sudden. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: No let down???

I sent you a PM about this-

For me it's low milk supply + stress = no letdown. I'm working to increase my milk (fenugreek + hospital grade pump + more nursing) and looking into the possiblity if I have PPD because of the overwhelming stress I've been feeling.

I do know that when your baby gets older you might not feel a letdown.... although it doesn't pertain in my case because I always feel it.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My son Jonathan is turning three months in two days. I have had to feed formula about once a day since he was a month and a half. He is just hungry all the time, and I don't have anything there for him. Now, is seems like the only time I produce milk is when I am sleeping. Then, I am so full that he is choking and I am dripping all over. I just don't understand what is going on.
    Now, he is squirming and pulling on my nipples when I am trying to feed him. I get frustrated and I don't even know what a let down feels like. I wish that I could enjoy the blessing of breastfeeding normally. You are all so lucky.

I just saw something about Whisper Wear pumps that you wear attached to your breasts- hands free! On epinions they didn't get super-hot reviews, but the thing is that maybe you could wear them at night when you are sleeping and obviously producing tons of milk? Then you could use that milk when you need it during the day.

You sound so frustrated, but from my own experience with 3 babies and reading a lot on these forums, it seems like there's a wide range of normal that usually involves some sort of stress, else why would everyone read and write in?! Hang in there, and hopefully this will be resolved!

I am interested in your pump. What type, how old.

Have you gotten your menstrual cycle lately?

Has your baby been sick? has the frequency of nursing changed?

The pump might be the answer. Check all the valves, tubes, ect.

Here's some info about slow letdown:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/letdown.html

And assisting MER (scroll down):
    http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Medela Pump in Style, bought it new about 6 months ago. I changed all the valves, membranes and I just bought larger shields yesterday, so I will try those next.

I've been told that the more I am frustrated thinking about this the harder it is to let down. But it's hard not to think about it. The LC at the hospital I work at gave me a supplement called More Milk Plus, I have been taking that for the past 2 days, and I was told to drink as much water as I can.

Drinking water will have no effect on your ability to have a let down. In fact over saturating yourself may be a hindrance rather than a boon. That advice wasn't so hot. Here is some information about your reflex

I would suggest working on with the info in the links provided here. Letdown is a conditioned response. Sometimes, we have to condition ourselves to letdown even in times of stress.

I pump every day at work, so I purchased one of those pumping corset things that allow me to pump and work on the computer at the same time (I'm pumping now in fact). Anyway, I search the internet, read these postings, etc. and don't even think about the fact that I'm pumping. Distracted, I suppose. Anyway, I get 2 let downs in about 30 minutes and a good amount of milk for dd at daycare. LMK if you want a link to the hands free corset.

Amy