Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oatmeal?

Default Oatmeal?

Hello,

My DD is almost 7 months (next week), and I have been giving her the baby oatmeal every morning. She doesn't seem to like it, and I would prefer to switch her to real oatmeal. Can anyone tell me how I should prepare this?

She has been eating some lumpy/pasty food (sweet potatoes, avocadoes), so texture-wise I think she can handle it. I am just not sure if her digestive system is ready for it. Is there a minimum age for real oatmeal? Thanks for your advice.

Default Re: Oatmeal?

I started dd on regular oatmeal when she started solids. I prepared it at first thinner that I would for myself (cooked it with water and then added BM to it to thin even more). I also sometimes added pureed fruit for a different flavor.
    DD is 18 mos and eats oatmeal with fruit almost every morning. It's a good source of fiber and iron and she really likes it. I like that I can make it different by just adding different fruit.

I take one part organic whole oats to two parts filtered water. For us I do 1/4 cup oats to 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 10 minutes or until soft. I sometimes add breastmilk after putting it in a bowl. We started this at....7 months I think.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I mix the oatmeal with fruit. That gives it more flavor and she loves it.

Great, thanks! I tried it last night, she liked it a lot more than the baby cereal.