Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not sure what to do!

Default Not sure what to do!

My son is 7 months old. He has been somewhat distracted during nursing sessions so I have been offering him the breast more often during the day.

I was pumping 2 times a day but in the last 2 weeks I might only pump 1 time a day if that. Since I stopped pumping on a regular basis I have noticed that when I do go to pump I get hardly anything at all....I just pumped and only got 1oz total from both breast and my son ate last about 2 hours ago.

I stopped pumping because I feared that there was not a long enough stretch in between when my son ate last and when he woke up to eat again....ate last at 6pm usually pump at 8pm and he wakes again at 10pm to eat....during the day he eats every 3-4 hours, clusters a little in late afternoon.

The only reason that I pump in the first place is for breastmilk for his cereal during the day and to have an occassional bottle on hand if I am out....might happen once every 2 weeks. In the past I could pump at night to cover the next day breastmilk for cereal and freeze what I pumped during the day....now I can't even get enough for the cereal.

My OB has suggested that I go on Reglan but I am not sure if I want to do that....for many reasons.

I don't know if I should stop pumping and use formula for his cereal? Or try to get my supply up again, and how to do that I am not sure!

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks
    Beth

Default Re: Not sure what to do!

babies are beter at getting out milk then the pump.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

heres a link with some ideas that might help.
    I would think if you started to remove more milk then your milk supply would adjust, that could mean pumping more or offering to nurse more often.

Before you turn to medicaton... the two pieces of advice I've heard time and time again when your milk supply is low is to take a few days off, stay home with your baby, snuggle in bed a lot and nurse like crazy. Are you co-sleeping? It's a great booster to milk supply. Are you drinking enough water? Eating well? Getting enough rest? Trying to cut down on stress?

Thanks for that article....it really helped!

Beth

I worried about having enough for my LO if I pumped too close to feeding time - and then I just stopped worrying about it. In fact, there have been numerous times when DS has woken up hungry just after I pumped 4-6 oz out. I just feed him normally and he makes gulping noises while drinking so I must be having another letdown for him even though I've just pumped.

I produce a lot more when I pump more often and take fenugreek. In fact, I have to be careful with this combo because I often bring back my OS problem.

When I wasn't pumping regularly this past summer, it was much harder for me to get a good quantity of milk out. I had to work to get my supply up for when I returned to teaching in September.

HTH! Good luck and don't worry!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky